ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Check and Send

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Baadil

Check and Send

Post by Baadil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,

For a new first time passport, Is there any real benefit to using check and send service since you have to send original docs anyway.

Thanks.

Member of Standing

Re: Check and Send

Post by 1664 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Baadil wrote:Hi,

For a new first time passport, Is there any real benefit to using check and send service since you have to send original docs anyway.

Thanks.
From what I've just read - check and send use
1 special delivery
2 Check your application for any errors thus reducing any delays in the processing times
3 Its sent directly to the Passport Centre.

Source http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174154

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm

its just more like a mental satisfaction otherwise application form is very very simple. i renewed my son's passort and didnt seen any advantge. anyway its upto you if you feel more mental satisfacton then use C&S.
NAZIA XX

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Baadil - if I were you I'd use the check and send service only because its your first passport and you don't need any delays.
If its a renewal - its straighforward you could use the premium service (if available)

Baadil

Post by Baadil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks all.

I am very good with forms etc. (did my own Citizenship form and more). I have also done several Passport forms in the past (for wife and kids) so I am not too worried about that either.

I can send special delivery myself, can't I? Also, if I send it myself, does it not go directly to passport office?

As Nazia said, I think for a new passport it is more of a peace of mind thing. Right?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:32 pm

IPS are very strict with the passport photos so I would recommend using C&S to review the photos you send.

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Jambo wrote:IPS are very strict with the passport photos so I would recommend using C&S to review the photos you send.
I agree with Jambo. The IPS are very strict. I had a slight scratch on my passport photo. I did not notice it but the person at the post office did. If not been for Check & send, my application would have had been refused and money lost. So its worth it. its just a few pounds extra and does include the cost of the special delivery.

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Everyone's experience is unique.

In our case the Post Office failed to address an error on our form - namely that the referee missed off his surname in one of his signatures on the back of the photo as there was no space left - the PO said this did not matter but when I called the IPS they stated that this form will be returned back to to us to verify the photos again thus delaying our application

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Jambo wrote:IPS are very strict with the passport photos so I would recommend using C&S to review the photos you send.
this is kind of funny you going for C&S just to make sure pics are ok. i dont think so its just a mental satisfaction ok. i went to first time C&S for my son's application i didnt seen anything special there.

well still its an option from IPS, otheriwise its not like NCS where u keep your orginals documents with you.
NAZIA XX

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I can send special delivery myself, can't I?
Absolutely, but what is the difference between you paying for Special Delivery, or you using Check & Send? Not a lot really ..... well worth paying for Check & Send, in my opinion.
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Nazia88 wrote:this is kind of funny you going for C&S just to make sure pics are ok. i dont think so its just a mental satisfaction ok.
Nothing funny or mental here. In two cases (child application and an adult application one year later) they saved me time and effort by pointing out issues with the photos (and I did read the guidelines, just missed things that might look minor but would invalided the photos).
After spending 100's of Pounds on applications to the HO, paying £8 for this service is worthwhile.

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Jambo wrote:
Nazia88 wrote:this is kind of funny you going for C&S just to make sure pics are ok. i dont think so its just a mental satisfaction ok.
Nothing funny or mental here. In two cases (child application and an adult application one year later) they saved me time and effort by pointing out issues with the photos (and I did read the guidelines, just missed things that might look minor but would invalided the photos).
After spending 100's of Pounds on applications to the HO, paying £8 for this service is worthwhile.
i didnt said a mental i used word a mental satisfaction (piece of mind) if you feel its more safe then go for it but those who are sure about application then dont need to pay or go through C&S service. SIMPLE. i have seen many application delyed via C&S and many procesed quicker which send via post direct to passport office and vice versa.
NAZIA XX

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Check & Send = £8.17 .... Special Delivery £5.90 .... so extra is just £2.27 .... well worth paying in my opinion.
John

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

John wrote:Check & Send = £8.17 .... Special Delivery £5.90 .... so extra is just £2.27 .... well worth paying in my opinion.
when I was applying for my daughter passport I was offered C&S, I told lady behind the counter go for it, then she checked all documents and asked me where is my British Passport, when I explained to her why my child is British Citizen(PR before she was born) she said to me you better send it without C&S, let IPS make decision on that.
So I would never try to use it again, just wasting the time :)

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Check & Send = £8.17 .... Special Delivery £5.90 .... so extra is just £2.27 .... well worth paying in my opinion.
Yes, theyre good at spotting any errors. I had to change my pictures as well, even though they looked fine but why take a chance!
namely that the referee missed off his surname in one of his signatures on the back of the photo as there was no space left - the PO said this did not matter
The referee only has to sign and date the picture and is not required to write his/her full name, so it is odd, IPS rejecting the photo!

In summary, filling the form is your own responsibility, C and S check is a good service, and someone else checks if everything is okay as well.