ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI & Tax contributions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Big A
Newly Registered

NI & Tax contributions

Post by Big A » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi, just phoned up the Inland revenue, and asked them to check that all my NI and Tax records have successfully been transferred to my permanent NI number (I've been trying since last year March) They told me that all my current NI and Tax records have been updated, but there is nothing prior to 24 January 2005 linked to this number. Firstly, I'm extremely worried now, as I'm applying for naturalization (4yr WP + 1yr ILR) on 29 June 2006, and all my Tax record say is that I've apparently only been contributing since 24 January 2005! I know in the form AN New, I've got to give my NI number and my employers Tax reference numbers etc. I fear now that I won't be successful, as all my records on my NI number, only reflects the last year and a half. All my previous tax details have mysteriously dissappeared. Could somebody please help re this matter, as I'm really worried that I have to fork out £300 for all this at the end of the month (Wandsworth NCS) only to have my application rejected and funds not returned. Please help.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Your records can't 'just disappear'. Much as the Inland Rev are slow, you should be able to get them dig out the records from your temporary (assuming) NI number.

Big A
Newly Registered

Post by Big A » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:34 pm

That is the information that I gave them. I had 2 previous temporary numbers, and I supplied them with that. The person said that both those numbers have been allocated to my records, and to my amazement, it only goes back to January 2005. Will this matter sort itself out? If this matter does not get sorted out, will it affect my application? Or will the Home Office see that I've lawfully been paying my taxes etc for the past year and a half?

Big A
Newly Registered

Post by Big A » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention, the company I work for now, is the only company that shows up on my NI number at the Tax Office. If anybody had a similar experience, could you please share your experience with me please, as I really would like to get this matter sorted out ASAP.

I just got so fed up, that I've been trying since last year March to sort this matter out, and every time I speak to a different person at IR, and everyone mentioned that they'll put a note on the system. Needless to say I never heard anything back, and I always need to call them. After all I'm trying to help them to get my record sorted out. Any advice will be much appreciated. Senior members? John? Kyalami? Sorry to be such a pain

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:45 pm

Big A:
I appreciate how fraustrating your experience can be but it is very unlikely that your tax information will just disappear under the radar at the IR offices.
IMHO, If you can get IR send you a letter to state what they have told you over the phone, you will be covered I believe. Then, include this letter with your application for naturalisation. Alternatively, you can include all your payslips for the past couple of years and write a covering letter to explain that reason. Can you not get a letter from your previous employers to state this fact?

I believe someone will add to the above. All the best!

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:46 pm

i have got the same problem. they had allocated an "incorrect" number to me 3 years ago and I was slightly concerned about the same thing. However, I am reliably informed that the "switch" is on record etc.

As someone has suggested, its always good to have such response from IR in black and white.

davidm

Post by davidm » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:28 am

I had a similar problem- I had a temporary NI no until I applied for ILR and then got a permanent number.
I attached copies of Inland Revenue letters showing tax calculations for the past 4 years with my naturalisation application which is proof that I paid NI contributions and tax.