ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for British Citizenship (Long and Complicated)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jaden
Newly Registered

Eligibility for British Citizenship (Long and Complicated)

Post by Jaden » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Hello everyone, I realise this is extremely unlikely, but I thought it was worth looking into regardless!

I am trying to find out if it is at all possible that I am eligible for British citizenship myself.

My grandfather was born in England, (which I am aware makes me eligible for an Ancestry Visa, I was born and live in Australia) and his son (my father) was born in what was then called "Northern Rhodesia" and a British protectorate in 1956. My grandparents were married when my father was born.

Now, I understand that my father is eligible for British citizenship by descent, but I also know that citizenship by descent cannot be passed down to children.

What I am trying to work out is, given the circumstances, it is at all possible that by been born in "Northern Rhodesia" in 1956 has given my father citizenship otherwise than by descent which could then be passed on to me?

---

I have read, that in 1983 those who were a CUKC (a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies) who had a parent who was born in the UK, became citizens.

Would "Northern Rhodesia" have counted as part of the United Kingdom and Colonies for this purpose? Would this be citizenship be otherwise than by descent (which I doubt) and could then be passed on to me?

(http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... e#22498124)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this, and I hope someone is knowledgeable enough to have an answer one way or another. :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:29 pm

WHEN were you born? ... you've told us where, but not when ...

melodis
Newly Registered

Post by melodis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am

This is similar to what I am trying to find out - but for my children.

My father is UK born (1940) and mother is Rhodesian born (1941). I am Rhodesian born (1976) and hold British Passport that stated I am British Citizen.

Do my children born in South Africa (1995 & 2009) qualify for British Citizenship/Passport by descent or only Ancestral Visa?

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm

To Melodis - It seems to me that you're a British citizen by decent.
Why do you think birth in Rhodesia in in 1976 makes you a British citizen otherwise than by descent?
Did you ever live in the UK for more than 3 years? If so, you can register your children as British.

jason77

Post by jason77 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm

As far as i knwo your children are eligible for UK Ancestry if they can prove that one of their grandparents were born in the UK ie through birth certificates
-their birth certificates, the parents birth certificate showing the grand parents names and; the grandparents birth certificates.

Are age 17 and above

Commonwealth Citizens

melodis wrote:This is similar to what I am trying to find out - but for my children.

My father is UK born (1940) and mother is Rhodesian born (1941). I am Rhodesian born (1976) and hold British Passport that stated I am British Citizen.

Do my children born in South Africa (1995 & 2009) qualify for British Citizenship/Passport by descent or only Ancestral Visa?