ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is this legal?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cacavoel
Newly Registered

Is this legal?

Post by cacavoel » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 pm

I am a student in Ireland (non-EEAnational) and my husband is Irish. He got offered a job in London starting January this year, and we got married in June. (We have been together since 2008). I was granted an EEA family permit to move over and join him after I finish my degree. I have my last 2 exams this week, and since I would be finishing, we were planning a holiday to Spain and France (longer in France) for the end of this month.

I went to apply for a visa at the French embassy in Dublin, since I am still currently resident here and on a student based redient card (which expires at the end of September 2011). I also do not need a visa for Ireland, and am allowed to enter Ireland for 3 months without any visa.

I took our marriage certificate, completed form, booked flights with both our names to prove that we are travelling together and copies of everything they asked. I pointed out that my Irish resident card only had a month and a half left (as I was finishing my studies next week) and that I have been granted an EEA family permit as I am moving to the UK to join my husband.

At first I was told I could not get a visa. I tried to explain my situation as best I could and was then told I would have to at least provide the following:

-proof that I am leaving spain and entering france
-proof of accommodation
-proof of address for my husband in the uk
-a letter explaining our situation
-a reference letter
-and this is the part I especially don't get, more proof (apart from the EEA Family Permit, that I am moving to the UK. And the onus is completely on me here to provide it. All I can think of is an email from IBM stating that I have passed their tests and am through to the next round in the recruitment process.

Is this legal according to Directive 2004/38/EC? Because it doesn't feel like I have the right to move and reside freely.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 pm

If you are married to your husband and will be traveling with him, then these are not legal. Contact Solvit right away: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/help-eu-solvit/

What passport do you have? How will you be traveling to France?

Did they say why they wanted the extra documentation?