ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

benn
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by benn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm

hi, could someone please give me some advice

my wife received the indefinite leave to remain today and just wondering if she still requires a visa to travel in Europe?

Also if shes gonna apply for British Citizenship next year, can she travel from now, because i've heard rumours around that she wants to apply for British Citizenship shes not supposed to leave UK for full 12 months since they received the ILR.

thanks in advance.....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Hello Benn. If your wife required a visa to travel to other EU countries before ILR, she will still need one until she has British Citizenship. A Schengen visa for travel in mainland Europe however should be issued free of charge.
You are confused about the travel rules before BC. When she applies for Citizenship (after 3 years of legal stay in the UK) she must make sure that she hasn't been outside of the UK for more than 90 days in the year leading up to her application. Other than that, she's free to travel as she wishes.
Congratulations on your wife receiving her ILR today. :)