ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schegen Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wahab86
Newly Registered

Schegen Visa

Post by wahab86 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Dear All,

I'm a muslim currently residing in the UK under Tier -2 Visa and recently got married (performed nikkah ) with a british citizen who is 20 years old, Hence i will have to wait until my wife is 21 to register my marriage in this country.

We would like to go on vacations to europe.
Is marriage certificate translated in english is enough to show spanish embassy as a proof of marriage and whether I can get marriage dependent visa (schegen) or do they want a marriage cert from UK only i.e registry which unfortunately I cant do until Feb 12.

Can somebody please answer if I should show the translation from Pakistan of my marriage certificate and apply for a Schengen visa which is free or apply as a tourist?

Thanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Asalam alaikum. Ramadan mubarek.
Why do you believe you have the be 21 before you can marry legally in the UK? The minimum age is 18. You may be confusing this with the fact that you won't be able to apply for a spouse visa until you are both 21.
In order to apply for a Schengen visa as a spouse of a British Citizen, you will have to provide a marriage certificate recognised under British law. Proof of a nikkah won't be acceptable.

wahab86
Newly Registered

Post by wahab86 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Walaikum Salam , Ramadan Mubarak to you too

JazakaAllah for your reply. You're right, I am confused. I thought that we can do the registry once she is 21. But according to your post, I am assuming we can do the registry even now, but I will have to wait until Feb'12 to apply for a spouse visa

Question 2:
if your answer is Yes, I can do the registry now, would that be enough to provide the italian or spanish embassy as a proof of marriage legally recognised in the UK?

Question 3:
we got married on 20th july 2011 in karachi, and came back on 29th July.
We live in apartment together, and have all bills, banks regd on this address.
is this enough to prove that we are together?

I am really thankful for your reply!!

Hope to hear back from you soon

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:42 pm

You can certainly marry in a registry office now, or in a mosque which is licensed to perform marriages. If you would prefer to marry in a mosque, ask your local Imam for advice on your nearest. There are several in the UK. A registrar would attend the ceremony to issue the legal marriage certificate.

A marriage certificate would be accepted by the Spanish or Italian consulate as proof that your wife is British. You don't need a spouse visa for this.

As you are aware, you'll have to wait until your wife is 21 before you can switch to spouse. Apply on form FLR(M).

karwan1

Post by karwan1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:58 am

If someone is here on spouse visa and the couple (husband+wife) wanted to go for a trip in europe....do this couple still need to have a marriage certificate while applying for Schengen Visa?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:35 pm

The consulate will require a marriage certificate and if this isn't in English or the language of the country you're applying to enter, you will need to have this translated.