ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going on Holiday while on ILR on Benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tulip4500

Going on Holiday while on ILR on Benefits

Post by tulip4500 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi

I like to know when on ILR claiming Job seekers allowance and Housing Benefit, if going to Europe for short period say 5 days. will it be any risk on coming back on airport? do I need to close the Job seekers allwance? or can i keep it open as only going for 5 days?

do they in airport IO check on job seekers allwance? is it fraud to keep it open if going to Europe for only 5 days? what can be the consequence?

please advise. thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:50 pm

No it's not fraud and you won't have a problem with Immigration.

STLewis

Post by STLewis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I would suggest that you mention to your job centre that you are thinking of having a holiday out of the uK for 5 days, since a condition of claiming JSA is that you are always available to start work - and obviously you can't be if you are not in the country.

However, you are entitled to have holidays when on job seekers ( it used to be two weeks a year without it affecting your claim, I think, but please double check this).

If you check the Direct.Gov website it does state that when claiming JSA you need to report a change of circumstances such as living with some etc etc and also if you are travelling abroad, (although it doesn't state for how long), and that to not do so, is fraudulent.

To be on the safe side I would just mention it to your job centre - hope you have a great holiday!