ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my mother come and live with us?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mae.hagoriles
Newly Registered

Can my mother come and live with us?

Post by mae.hagoriles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello everyone!

I've got my British passport 2 yrs ago and wondering if my Mum can apply Family Dependency. Her circumstances are very complicated but please bear with me....
She's 61 yrs old, and single. No permanent work, no house of her own just living here and there with family members. She's working as a sales agent for Avon back in the Philippines so not Employed as such. My Dad who lives near her but no contact with my Mum as they separated a long time ago and they weren't married anyways, he's got his own family and a businessman. I have a Sister who works in the Philippine Air Force and a Brother that lives with my Dad and runs one of my Dad's business. My Mum can't really depend on them as they have no interest of doing so, not that I can blame them as my Mum left us when we were kids and went on her own somewhere. She has done nothing for herself. And now that I am settled and have a family of my own and I want my Mum to be part of that family. How can I get her over here? Please help me...info will be much much appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Generally, being under 65 requires the applicant to be living alone in exceptional compassionate circumstances and no other relative close by.

(e) parent or grandparent under the age of 65 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom;

(v) has no other close relatives in his own country to whom he could turn for financial support

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... sandother/

mae.hagoriles
Newly Registered

Post by mae.hagoriles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:48 pm

If I wait until she's 65 would that help?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 pm

It would be better but I really can't say what here chances are as you have not gone into detail about how she supports herself.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Yes it will help, but do not think the application will automatically succeed in 4 years time.

At the very least, when she is just about to turn 65, do check out the matter again, because the law and practice might change in the next 4 years.

Also, are you aware of the cost of applying for such a visa? Ouch!
John

mae.hagoriles
Newly Registered

Post by mae.hagoriles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Lucapooka wrote:It would be better but I really can't say what here chances are as you have not gone into detail about how she supports herself.
She sells Avon here and there and her brother and sister does give her some money about £7 a month....I don't send her any money monthly as such, just presents as it's complicated on her end. I want her to come over so I could look after her as I am her daughter and so she can spend time with her granddaughters too...I am actually thinking if it would be easier for her to get Family Visit or something like that but she has got no savings or anything. I don't know what else to do.

STLewis

Post by STLewis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:14 am

Once she is 65, It would help if you could show she has been financially dependent upon you, although you do mention that she isn't, and the visa is actually for "dependent" elderley relatives.