ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discretionary Leave to Remain

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VT

Discretionary Leave to Remain

Post by VT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Can anybody tell me where i can find some good information about DL? My partner is expecting to be granted DL soon as we've heard from the HO telling us they require certain docs to finalise the decision. Can't find much explaining what DL actually means and what it entitles my partner to? i.e work!!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

DL is granted outside the rules so there are no definitve set of rules! No have you said anything about the circumstances. Here is a link to the DL information on the UKBA site but it is by no means comprehensive.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Unfortunately, the current guidance is being updated and is therefore offline. Here is a link to a snapshot of the previous guidance taken in December 2010

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... iew=Binary

zebra3

DLR

Post by zebra3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 pm

I got given a 3 year DLR, you entitled to work, start you own business, travel in and out of the UK,claim benefits ( I would not adivise it tho) unless you have to.

At the end of 3 years you need to re-apply for another 3 years, before you can apply for ILR so (total of 6 years).

good Luck

VT

Post by VT » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Lucapooka wrote:DL is granted outside the rules so there are no definitve set of rules! No have you said anything about the circumstances. Here is a link to the DL information on the UKBA site but it is by no means comprehensive.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
Thank you for replying. Does it all depend on my partners circumstances then? To cut a long story short he is nigerian and came in 2000 his mum overstayed visas my partner was only 11 at the time. His mum was then traced at deported in 2008 but my partner moved on to another area in uk. We met late 2008 and have been in a relationship since and have one 19 month old together.

Thanks zebra3 I thought that was the route.

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:05 pm

yes each case it own merit, do have a solicitor?

what documents did they request? when I had a letter from them back in Nov 2009 on the 4th requesting more documents for my self and my British Wife, 2 new photos and Method of entry questionnaire, my solicitor sent the lot back on 18th Nov they issued my visa on 23 Nov and sent to my solicitor Jann 26th 2010.

good luck

VT

Post by VT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:03 pm

They just requested passport photo's recently but now they want his passport but he doesn't have one. Not sure whether he offer to apply for a nigerian or british one?! Yeah we've got a solicitor.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 pm

VT wrote:They just requested passport photo's recently but now they want his passport but he doesn't have one. Not sure whether he offer to apply for a nigerian or british one?! Yeah we've got a solicitor.
if he was eligible for a British passport then he wouldn't need to be applying for discretionary leave!

He should find out how long it will take for a Nigerian passport to be issued. If he can't provide the passport then if they are minded to grant him discretionary leave they may just do it on a separate immigration status document.

dr.me
Newly Registered

Re: Discretionary Leave to Remain

Post by dr.me » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:05 pm

good day everybody please i need some advise from u guys,i came to this country 2009 on student visa and i have be extending all this while until last year when my college licence was revoked,i enter another college and the govt revoked the licence as well.mean while,i am hear with mrs who has been my dependant as both of us are from the same country and we have a one year one yr old child born here.we have been advise to go for discretionary leave as no college is ready to admit me been that my colleges have been revoked twice. i want to know the time it takes and the process my mrs and i have to follow from the ukba to the court if applicable

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 am

dr.me wrote:good day everybody please i need some advise from u guys,i came to this country 2009 on student visa and i have be extending all this while until last year when my college licence was revoked,i enter another college and the govt revoked the licence as well.mean while,i am hear with mrs who has been my dependant as both of us are from the same country and we have a one year one yr old child born here.we have been advise to go for discretionary leave as no college is ready to admit me been that my colleges have been revoked twice. i want to know the time it takes and the process my mrs and i have to follow from the ukba to the court if applicable
On what basis are you hoping to apply?? You have been here 6 years. Your child (born here?) has only been here for 1 year.... Based on the details provided, you won't be eligible for FLR (FP).

Tier 2?

dr.me
Newly Registered

Post by dr.me » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 pm

physicskate » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 am

dr.me wrote:
good day everybody please i need some advise from u guys,i came to this country 2009 on student visa and i have be extending all this while until last year when my college licence was revoked,i enter another college and the govt revoked the licence as well.mean while,i am hear with mrs who has been my dependant as both of us are from the same country and we have a one year one yr old child born here.we have been advise to go for discretionary leave as no college is ready to admit me been that my colleges have been revoked twice. i want to know the time it takes and the process my mrs and i have to follow from the ukba to the court if applicable

On what basis are you hoping to apply?? You have been here 6 years. Your child (born here?) has only been here for 1 year.... Based on the details provided, you won't be eligible for FLR (FP).

Tier 2?

thank you but a friend told me that is the only option available for me to finish my program.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm

dr.me wrote:physicskate » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 am

dr.me wrote:

Tier 2?

thank you but a friend told me that is the only option available for me to finish my program.
How much time u want to spend?

If u apply flr fp than any future application in PBS system will refuse. specially tier 4
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

dr.me
Newly Registered

Post by dr.me » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:06 pm

[quote][/quote]
thanks zee Ali
my intention is to spend 2.6yrs atleast to balance myself b4 me nest decision and u said if i apply for any flr fp in student visa that it will get refuse pls is it in law or from experience

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 pm

dr.me wrote:
thanks zee Ali
my intention is to spend 2.6yrs atleast to balance myself b4 me nest decision and u said if i apply for any flr fp in student visa that it will get refuse pls is it in law or from experience
Impossible to spend that much time

balance myself

What do u mean by this?
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

dr.me
Newly Registered

Post by dr.me » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:15 pm

dr.me wrote:

thanks zee Ali

balance myself

What do u mean by this?
i mean ,i want to continue my programme

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:24 pm

dr.me wrote:dr.me wrote:

thanks zee Ali

balance myself

What do u mean by this?
i mean ,i want to continue my programme
Did u spend 20 years in UK?
Do u have child who spend 7 years in UK and not reasonable for child to go back?
R u aged between 18 and 25 and spend half of your life in UK?
Did u spend less than 20 years in UK and no ties what so ever back home?

I think u will say last point is applicable to u. This is HO trick to make people believe that they can apply on discretionary leave. But impossible to get visa on this base. They will say as u come in this country in 2009 6 years ago and when u arrived in UK u were 20 or 25 or 30 years old. So u spend that much time in your home country so u must have ties there.
They will refuse you straight away.

Now choice is yours.