ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 general extension earning question

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sheary
Newly Registered

Tier 1 general extension earning question

Post by sheary » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm

hi there,
currently i am on tier 1 general visa. my extension is due next year.i have some question about my earning. i am working as a black cab taxi driver. i get cash from customer and dont give them any receipt.when i first applied my tier 1 that time i was on PSW and did show same work but that time was different rules. now rules has been changed if we are working as a self employed then we have to show our earning with invoices. my question is how i can proof my earning and show them invoices because in my work i only get cash some time £3 and some time £40. i am confused how i can get my extension. can anyone please help me out in this problem.
thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm

You will have to bank your money, register as self-employed with HMRC and get an accountant to prepare your self-employed accounts. Read the guidance:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:54 am

.... and this is a starting point for keeping records (straight from the mouth of HMRC):-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/rec-keep-self-emp.htm
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

sheary
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 general extension earning question

Post by sheary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:53 pm

sheary wrote:hi there,
currently i am on tier 1 general visa. my extension is due next year.i have some question about my earning. i am working as a black cab taxi driver. i get cash from customer and dont give them any receipt.when i first applied my tier 1 that time i was on PSW and did show same work but that time was different rules. now rules has been changed if we are working as a self employed then we have to show our earning with invoices. my question is how i can proof my earning and show them invoices because in my work i only get cash some time £3 and some time £40. i am confused how i can get my extension. can anyone please help me out in this problem.
thanks

thx for reply. i am register as self employed since 2009 and also register with accountant. i have checked uk bia website about self employed guidance and its written in guidance that if we are working as self employed then we have to give them proof of earning with invoices and contact information.i am confused how i can give them a proof with invoices. please help me

email257525
BANNED

Post by email257525 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Just a suggestion, May be you can keep a manual receipt booklet with carbon paper underneith, I dont know the exact name, Its like cheques book, when you tear off a cheque the the little slip stays in booklet.

this way you can have a record. keep a stamp as well.
Or meet with a good accountant, he may give you some more better advise

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 am

As email257525 says, you can keep a record in that way. These carbon backed books are available everywhere and are usually sequentially numbered so you can keep an audit trail of your sales.

I also know of some taxi drivers who were able to get print outs from their office regarding the journeys they did (these were pre-booked cabs rather than Hackney carriages though). Another would be just to keep a sheet where you log all journeys and price.

That's on the record keeping side however. If you are in any doubt as to what UKBA want then it's best just to call them - as lengthy and expensive a call as it may be. You won't be the first taxi driver to ask this question and after all this is their game so they can set the rules - no matter whether it flies in the face of accounting convention or not.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.