ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Renewal - Bachelor's Degree

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Renewal - Bachelor's Degree

Post by offstumpfail » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi,

I had a quick skim of the first few pages and didn't see this mentioned, so apologies if it already has.

I am in the UK on Tier 1 and intend to renew next year (it expires April 2012).

I just got into a panic because I went through the points-based system calculator on UKBA website and it didn't award any points for my Bachelor's Degree, which causes me to not accumulate enough points.

Digging further, I see that:

* You will score no points for a bachelor's degree if, under the Immigration Rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010:

* you were given permission to enter the UK under Tier 1 (General); or
* you were given permission to switch into Tier 1 (General) from an immigration category other than those listed above.

Now my initial Tier 1 Application was submitted before they changed the rules - in February 2009. My visa was actually issued on 15 April 2009. If I use the February date I get the points for my Bachelor's and pass the calculator.

Logic would dictate I should be fine but which date will they use for my application date?

Thanks!

alinet_99
Newly Registered

Post by alinet_99 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:00 pm

The guidance state "56. An applicant will be awarded no points
for a Bachelor’s degree if: (a) his last grant of entry clearance was
as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010, "

Your last grant was issued was issued on 15th April 2009 and its not the date you submitted the application.

Senior Members please confirm

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm

You will score no points for a bachelor's degree if, under the Immigration Rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010:

I have highlighted it, read it carefully. You never applied under this rule category.

Hope it helps.

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Post by offstumpfail » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm also looking here:

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... R_502_HELP

if you click the Help link from "Enter the date of your first successful Tier 1 application" in points based calculator.

[quote]
Date of application

For applications made from outside the United Kingdom this will be taken to be:

the date that the fee associated with the application was paid. This means the date shown on your payment receipt, which depends on how you paid for your visa application, for example, at a British Diplomatic Post, visa application centre or online.
[/quote]

This sounds like I will be OK.

This isn't mentioned anywhere in the Policy Guidance or anywhere else I can find though, so if someone can confirm this it would certainly ease my nerves!

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Post by offstumpfail » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 pm

[quote="jimmymcad"]You will score no points for a bachelor's degree if, under the Immigration [b]Rules in place [/b]between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010:

I have highlighted it, read it carefully. You never applied under this rule category.

Hope it helps.[/quote]

Just replied at the same time - cheers for answer.

:D

It would be helpful if they'd clarify this in the policy guidance though!