ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa entry and exit stamp

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lilmeiow2008
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa entry and exit stamp

Post by lilmeiow2008 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 pm

I have recieved one year mutitple Schengen Visa from French Embassy.

I plan to take a train to Paris on 17th Sep, staying in Paris for three nights. Then take a flight from Paris to Lisbon and stay in Lisbon for three nights. I have been told French immigration will stamp my visa on arrival to Paris but will not stamp on exit from Paris to Lisbon, the final exit will be stamped by Portugal Immigration when I leave for London. In this situation, my entry will be stamped by French and exit by Portugal immigration. Legally above situation is correct as I am staying equal nights at two european countries and I have the visa from the country which I would enter first. But someone told my visa will be refused next time if I do not have French Immigration exit stamp. Is that true?

Thanks,
Chandan

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen Visa entry and exit stamp

Post by Plum70 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:43 pm

lilmeiow2008 wrote:But someone told my visa will be refused next time if I do not have French Immigration exit stamp. Is that true?
Highly unlikely. France will be your first point of entry into the Schengen area so you are fine. If you still have concerns then keep your travel itinerary/hotel booking to later show that you spent time in Paris. Other option is take a one day ferry or Eurostar trip to France at another date (even Calais would do!) which would 'earn' you an entry and exit stamp.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Plum70 wrote:
lilmeiow2008 wrote:But someone told my visa will be refused next time if I do not have French Immigration exit stamp. Is that true?
Highly unlikely. France will be your first point of entry into the Schengen area so you are fine. If you still have concerns then keep your travel itinerary/hotel booking to later show that you spent time in Paris. Other option is take a one day ferry or Eurostar trip to France at another date (even Calais would do!) which would 'earn' you an entry and exit stamp.
Often there is no real French immigration presence on the Dover-Calais ferry in either direction. If somebody is there they just wave you through. You have to go out of your way to stop and insist that they stamp your passport. Sad but true. So much for defending the external borders of Schengen-land.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:56 pm

lilmeiow2008 has absolutely nothing to worry about; it's not even necessary that France is your entry point. If it is more convenient for you, you could just as well take a ferry to Belgium or Holland and travel to Paris from there, for example. Travel plans as described are completely within the visa conditions. And of course, don't wast time and/or money on unnecessary cross-Channel ferry trips. Once you have your visa, you can enter and leave the Schengenzone at any point without any problem.

The only things that could complicate future visa applications are overstaying or serious criminal activities.

simmo

Post by simmo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Plum70 wrote:
Often there is no real French immigration presence on the Dover-Calais ferry in either direction. If somebody is there they just wave you through. You have to go out of your way to stop and insist that they stamp your passport. Sad but true. So much for defending the external borders of Schengen-land.
True - and if I recall correctly last time me and Mrs Simmo did this the French Border guards were positioned after we had already cleared the UK Border controls and she had already been stamped back into the UK.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 pm

simmo wrote:True - and if I recall correctly last time me and Mrs Simmo did this the French Border guards were positioned after we had already cleared the UK Border controls and she had already been stamped back into the UK.
Interesting. For Eurostar Paris, Eurotunnel Calais, and the Calais Ferry, I remember clearing French border controls (such as they exist) before then moving forward 10m to clear UK border controls.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
simmo wrote:True - and if I recall correctly last time me and Mrs Simmo did this the French Border guards were positioned after we had already cleared the UK Border controls and she had already been stamped back into the UK.
Interesting. For Eurostar Paris, Eurotunnel Calais, and the Calais Ferry, I remember clearing French border controls (such as they exist) before then moving forward 10m to clear UK border controls.
Same at Bruxelles-Midi...don't see the logic in the reverse.