ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR HELP - I just need clear advice

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imranh

ILR HELP - I just need clear advice

Post by imranh » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Everyone

I just need some clear advice with regards to ILR as I have searched this forum and the UK border agency website and my head is spinning at the moment.

some background info - my wife is from Pakistan and she arrived here on a settlement visa in December 2010. She is a housewife and does not work or earn an income. I am 26 and my salary is in the late £20ks.

I have collated all the docs addressing my wife such as Doctor card/appointments, bank statements, utility bills, electric and gas bills and applying for National Insurance card correspondance..

I think only the utility and/or electric and gas bills are in joint names.

My first question is do the letters have to be in joint names and is it ok that the bills/documents are in seperate names ?

My next question is regarding the ESOL course - my wife took a test last week to gage what level her english was which appears to be at entry level 1. She has been enrolled to an EIF ESOL course starting this week

My second question is - am I correct in thinking since she is at level 1 - if she attends the course and consequently her level improves to level 2 - will she have met the ESOL criteria for ILR?
Is it essential that there is a citizenship element in the course?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:38 pm

Firstly, the document don't have to be in joint names. Generally the advice would be to submit more than the minimum 6 (from at least 3 separate categories) if all proof is in single names. However, it appears you have a mix of both single and joint..so you'll be fine. Continue to save correspondence/bills etc until your wife applies for ILR.
The ESOL course must be provided from one of the UKBA approved examining boards and must also include Citizens material. Your wife will have to progress from one level to the next, submit the certificate from the examining board, together with a letter from the college/school to confirm her attendance and the progression during the course.

luke79

Post by luke79 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 pm

If it helps, we submitted about 15 docs of cohabitation - my wife is also on the spousal visa at present and pending ILR.

About 7 or 8 in joint and rest in single names, everything covers from the date she entered the country, right up untill the point of application - Everything in date order ..

The range included, joint electic, gas, water bills - HMRC letter in joint names, a letter from bank in both names stating the bank account is now in joint names,

Singular = poll cards, NHS letters, NI letter, NHS med card, college letter etc..

Im sure they will pick and choose what they need..

Esol - my wife was assessed below entry level 2, she then did a ESOL course to complete entry level 2, she basically went up a level, this is the requirement, this info is stated in the esol letter (see below)

Ensure when you get the certificate, you also get a letter from the college to accompany it, as this is mandatory for submission

casa is spot on with all his/her advice.

Good Luck :P