ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent advice needed - visa expiring very soon

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Cool

Urgent advice needed - visa expiring very soon

Post by Cool » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:46 am

Please advise:
A friend in the UK is yet to get a response to his HSMP application and the current visa is due to expire in a few days. He does not qualify for FLR without HSMP approval. Has already sent an Urgent Request Form but no response yet.

Can he make an application for FLR before the HSMP is approved? Will the consideration for FLR be delayed until the HSMP is decided? If it is possible for him to apply for FLR now, please give detailed guidance.

Thanks.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 am

I am afraid the FLR when it comes for consideration will be rejected because your friend does not have an appoval. Unfortunalty the turnaround for FLR is a lot faster than HSMP approvals.

Cool

Post by Cool » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks MWazir.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Cool, MWazir is right.

In order to prevent him becoming an overstayer when his current visa expires, the best he can do is to post the extension visa application, and deliberately pay by cheque ... to slow matters down.

Hopefully the HSMP application will succeed and then he can post in the proof that it is successful before the visa application gets rejected. Or he might need to appeal against the rejection and enclose the HSMP-successful proof.

Worse case .... HSMP application rejected ..... means loss of visa application fee.
John

Cool

Post by Cool » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks John,
Will explore that option.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:29 pm

What visa is he currently on and how much time has he spent on it? One of his obvious options is to go back to his home country and await the result of his HSMP application and then apply for EC. The downside is if he is on a visa that leads to settlement in 5 years time, then his ILR clock will reset. However its not so much of an issue if he is on non-settlement type visas or has spent little time on a visa that leads to settlement. Instead of complicating his immigration status, he could just head home until his results are out (and hopefully his application is strong enough to merit an approval)

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm 100% sure that if you apply for Leave to Remain before your HSMP is decided the Leave to Remain team will hold onto the application until a decision is made on the HSMP application. Once a decision is made they will then process the FLR application.

Also, if one applies before your visa expires then the visa is automatically extended until the FLR decision is made, meaning the applicant can continue on the existing visa's terms even if it expires during the process.
________
Glass pipes
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm 100% sure that if you apply for Leave to Remain before your HSMP is decided the Leave to Remain team will hold onto the application until a decision is made on the HSMP application. Once a decision is made they will then process the FLR application.
I know at least 2 cases where the FLR was rejected because it was applied for before the HSMP application was decided.

Can you let us know how you are so sure?

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:36 pm

I think 100% sure may have been a little strong, the people in the Home Office I have spoken to (advisors and case workers) are sure, they always quote section 118 of the 2002 Immigration Act.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2002/20041--g.htm#118
________
Addison'S Disease Advice
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:06 pm

All Section 3C is doing is stopping the person becoming an overstayer while the visa application is decided, and if the application is rejection, until the time limit for appealing against the rejection has expired.

Useful, but it does not stop the application being rejected, in the absence of HSMP approval.
John

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:18 am

Good point, but from personal experience they will happily wait for the HSMP to be approved. I assumed it was in the rules for them to do so, maybe it's at the discretion of the caseworker.

I'll find out later.
________
Drug Testing
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:26 pm

I rang the Leave to Remain team earlier, they told me that they will hold onto a case until the HSMP is decided.
________
Free joomla themes
Last edited by WoodieG on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool

Post by Cool » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks all,
Based on how things evolved, it seems the FLR team waited for the HSMP result.
HSMP has been approved and FLR granted.

Regards.