ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 yr Long residence ILR - advice requested

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Laurence123
Newly Registered

10 yr Long residence ILR - advice requested

Post by Laurence123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:11 am

Hi

My work permit (Tier 2) is due to expire 23 October 2011 after 3 years (previously a student visa), and due to the new(ish) requirement for companies to register as a sponsor to provide a certificate of sponsorship, I don't think the process will be completed in time for me to apply to extend my visa.

But, I have been continuously resident in the UK for almost 11 years, and so I've just booked a Life in the UK test at the end of the month, and will apply for ILR long residence as soon as I've passed.

As I understand it from scouring this site and others, all I need for the application are my passports (current and expired), my test certificate and the completed Set(O) form along with the £972 fee. My questions are as follows:

1) Due to the short deadline, i won't have time to get a SAR. How big a problem is this likely to be, and as there anything I can do about it?

2) I plan to submit a spreadsheet showing all my exits and entrances from the UK over the last 10 years, rather than using the Immigration History section on the form. I assume this is OK?

3) Is there any way of speeding up the process of getting a decision on ILR - ie using a more expensive premium/immigration lawyer service etc?

4) Related to (3), but will they keep my passport for the whole time they are deciding on the application?

5) As I understand it, as long as I apply before my current visa expires, my immigration status stays the same. What do I need to tell my company so that they don't worry they're employing an illegal immigrant? WIll they need to register anything with the Home Office?

Thank you so much in advance!

Laurence

mercy4

Post by mercy4 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 am

Please from my little experience,I will advised you to request for the SAR files. I for example, thus the petty mistakes I made and it has cost me dearly.Thinking that time is too short and not that all necessary.Anyway I had known is always at last.
Thanks

Laurence123
Newly Registered

Post by Laurence123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks Mercy - the problem is I just don't think the SAR will be done by the time I have to file my request. What were your mistakes, may I ask? Anything tips for avoiding them?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:32 am

1. Why do you think you need to make a SAR request ...... in order to apply to apply for settlement.
2. Why do you wish to do so? If you have more entries than the table (in the form) permits, continue on a plain sheet of paper (follow table format, IMHO).
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. After you have applied, your employer may contact Sponsorship and employers' helpline.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!