ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married on a Tier 5 Visa - is it possible?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shaun9991
Newly Registered

Getting married on a Tier 5 Visa - is it possible?

Post by shaun9991 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Hello,

I am a 25 year old New Zealander who has a Tier 5 YMV valid until December 24th 2011. My fiancee is French, and we hope to get married so we are able to stay together and live our futures in London. However, in August I had to return to New Zealand as my father is terminally ill. Realistically, I will be returning to the Uk sometime in late October/early November. From there we will look to get married as soon as possible - and I'm wondering in fact if it is indeed possible to get married whilst living in the UK on a Tier 5 visa, to a European citizen. If so, will it then be possible for me to apply for the EEA2 residence card from within the UK? If so, can I remain in the UK whilst this is being processed, even though my Tier 5 will have expired? Or should I just apply for a Fiancee visa and date it as starting shortly after my current visa expires. If it is not possible to switch from the Tier 5 Visa to a EEA related visa from within the UK, would it then be possible to go to France when my tier 5 expires, and apply using the VAF5 form from there - as I can not afford to be travelling between NZ and Europe all the time. Any help would be hugely appreciated - this has been a cause of much stress and many weeks of research have left me confused as to what we can actually do.

Thanks very much.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Possible for Tier 5 holder to marry. Subsequently, apply for EEA2, if French spouse is a qualified person or holds PR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shaun9991
Newly Registered

Post by shaun9991 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks very much for clearing that up, much appreciated.