ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GOT MY VISA!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waiting_spouse
Newly Registered

GOT MY VISA!

Post by waiting_spouse » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Hello all,

Can't remember if I've ever posted my situation here..but I thot I'd let y'all know of my experience for the benefit of those who might or are having to go thru the same situation.

I just got my visa approved today, and will be collecting my passport tomorrow since it was too late for them to issue it to me straight away. I submitted my application on Monday, got interviewed today (Thursday), and thats it!

Here's the history...

I came to the UK in Sep 2001 on tourist visa, married my hubby in Nov 2001. Went back to Singapore in March 2002 (tourist visa expired). My hubby was an asylum seeker at that time. Came back to the UK in May 2002 (without spouse visa bcuz didn't know I needed one in the first place!).

Got 'caught' by immigration police. They asked for my passport, and so I showed them. Told me I was an illegal entrant, even though my visitor's visa was not up. Was about to be deported, but lawyer of my hubby's managed to get me to stay as his dependent. Was issued with an IS96, and reported monthly from Aug 2002, till Apr 2006. In Oct 2003, my hubby got his resident status, but in Mar 2004, was told I was not named in his initial asylum claim, so I could not be granted any status. Was confused and didn't know wat to do!

In May 2004, applied for FLRM (further leave to remain as spouse), as advised by case worker. In March 2006, was refused, with reason IS151A issued less than 2 years from marriage date. Opted to go back to Singapore voluntarily. IS151A written in passport. Went back with my then 17mth old British son.

After 3 months , made a fresh application. Took us weeks to prepare the documents for the applicaiton. We provided the following;

passport
marriage cert
birth cert (son's)
hubby's travel doc (certified copy) and grant of asylum letter from HO
bank statement which include savings + transactions of expenses
tenancy agreement
rent card
hubby's employment letter from new employer
payslips from previous employer
personal statments detailing relationship
sponsor's letter
a letter explaining IS151A situation
My own CV
letters from a self-paying course (to show that I intend to work after completion)
Hubby's university letter to show that he's graduating
Evidence of contacts (phone bills)
Utitlity bills
A rough budget guide of our weekly expenses

During interview, I was asked;

- when I entered UK
-when I left, and got married
-when I re-entered and left UK
-Hubby passed his exams ( to which I said he's graduating)
-Did we apply for housing benefit ( I said no)
-Any public funds ( I said working tax credits for hubby & child benefits)
-Do I intend to apply for public funds ( I said, no, bcuz I'm taking a self-paying course so that I culd work from home)

ECO was rather impressed with the budget guide. She said its not often she gets this, and its good. Makes her work easier.

Basically, if you can cover the requirement for the financial test, and convince the ECO that there will be no recourse to public funds for yourself, you shuld be alright!! I was so worried about my immigration history, when the fact is, they are more concern over your finances.

I even managed to ask the ECO if I culd change the date of travel, and she understands why bcuz she said izzit becuz you wish to attend hubby's graduation?

I almost choked with tears when I was told I got the visa, and the ECO said not to cry bcuz it made her want to cry to! My son too was at the interview.

Well, getting ready to get my air tx, cuz I will be travelling very soon. Its gonna be a great summer! :)

Thank you all for your advice and your stories here. This forum really is useful and helpful to me and I'm lucky to have discovered it!

badboyz

Post by badboyz » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:07 pm

congrats and all the best.

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:38 pm

Waiting_spouse,

congratulations, I am always filled with soo much hope when i read stories like this. Thanks again for your advice. The visa process in ghana is a little different, so I will be submitting my application next month and get an interview date sometime late sept, early oct, I trust it will all go smoothly as yours. Wishing you and your family all the best.

coco