ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Steps to Become British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bbkaran

Steps to Become British Citizen

Post by bbkaran » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if I should create a new topic. Apologies in case I shouldn't have.

1) We, the parents, and child (three of us in total) have "Indefinite Leave to Remain" stamped on our passports.

2) What are the steps leading to British Citizen and eventually passport? I was told we need to do some test etc. It would be nice if someone lists here. I found this forum always give the latest uptodate info.

Thanks

bbkaran

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:See also routes to eligibility.
Thanks again.

The link suggests:

"If your English skills are below ESOL Entry 3 level (or Intermediate 1 level in Scotland), you must take this course and obtain a relevant qualification before you apply."

What is ESOL entry 3 level? Could any college assess and provide certificate?

thanks

bbkaran

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Any accredited college.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 am

bbkaran wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:See also routes to eligibility.
Thanks again.

The link suggests:

"If your English skills are below ESOL Entry 3 level (or Intermediate 1 level in Scotland), you must take this course and obtain a relevant qualification before you apply."

thanks

bbkaran
Your level of English, as reflected by being able to read and post on this forum, suggests that you are above this level. So you will need to pass the Life in the UK test which also acts as proof of your English level.

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Jambo wrote:
bbkaran wrote: Thanks again.

The link suggests:

thanks

bbkaran
Your level of English, as reflected by being able to read and post on this forum, suggests that you are above this level. So you will need to pass the Life in the UK test which also acts as proof of your English level.
yes. I was wondering about a possible exemption from english test. The border agency site does not provide details of what evidence one needs to provide to get exemption.

It does not make sense for someone who worked in English speaking countries for more than 10 years (NZ and UK) and writes research articles in international journals in English to take this test.

Thanks

bbkaran

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 am

"It does not make sense for someone who worked in English speaking countries for more than 10 years (NZ and UK) and writes research articles in international journals in English to take this test."

This won't give you exemption to the Life in the UK test. It isn't a test of your level of the English language. The questions are testing your understanding of life in the UK....law, social and political history, demographics and customs. What is a Quango? When is St George's day? What percentage of children live with both birth parents? ......
Even those from countries where the first language is English, the USA, Australia and New Zealand for example, are required to comply with the KOL regulation, both for ILR and BC.
As John has already advised, your level of English is obviously at or above 'Level 3', which doesn't leave the ESOL option open to you. You will have to sit the KOL test. Exemptions would be due to a severe medical disability or aged under 18 or over 65.

How long have you been resident in the UK and under which category was your ILR granted?

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Casa wrote:"It does not make sense for someone who worked in English speaking countries for more than 10 years (NZ and UK) and writes research articles in international journals in English to take this test."

This won't give you exemption to the Life in the UK test. It isn't a test of your level of the English language. The questions are testing your understanding of life in the UK....law, social and political history, demographics and customs. What is a Quango? When is St George's day? What percentage of children live with both birth parents? ......
Even those from countries where the first language is English, the USA, Australia and New Zealand for example, are required to comply with the KOL regulation, both for ILR and BC.
As John has already advised, your level of English is obviously at or above 'Level 3', which doesn't leave the ESOL option open to you. You will have to sit the KOL test. Exemptions would be due to a severe medical disability or aged under 18 or over 65.

How long have you been resident in the UK and under which category was your ILR granted?

Thanks again.

I misunderstood that I needed to take both English and life in the uk tests. Now I think, If my english level is good, I just need to take life in the uk test. No need to worry about english test. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I came in HSMP visa and obtained ILR in 2009.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Life in the UK test - only.