ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pads

Family visit

Post by pads » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Can anyone tell me what documents we need to provide for a family visit visa.

My daughter in law is american and she wants to visit my son who is british for approx five months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Love pads x

archipelago

Post by archipelago » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 pm

pads

Post by pads » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks I have read both of the above, do you have to prove ties to the US though because my daughter in law, has no job, no college, no rented house, as she currently lives with her mum, the only thing i can think of that she can send about her is her tax return.

My son has sent a letter of invitation and his financial documents, and his passport to show that he is a british ciitizen, do you think this is sufficient.

Love pads x

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Why is she applying for a visa when, as a US citizen, she can claim entry clearance on arrival?

archipelago

Post by archipelago » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:22 pm

She will need to convince the ECO in the application that she will return to the US at the end of the visit. Having the return ticket and letter of invitation are important.

However as Lucapooka states the US is a non visa country so she can travel without a visa. Do you believe she may be bounced then? Has she visited the UK before or other countries?

pads

Post by pads » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:06 am

archipelago wrote:She will need to convince the ECO in the application that she will return to the US at the end of the visit. Having the return ticket and letter of invitation are important.

However as Lucapooka states the US is a non visa country so she can travel without a visa. Do you believe she may be bounced then? Has she visited the UK before or other countries?
Yes she was bounced last year when she tried to visit my son for the birth of there daughter.

She was out of time to apply for the spouse visa because she was only allowed to fly up to 34 weeks pregnant anyway to cut a long story short she was refused entry clearance because they said my son couldn't afford to pay for the birth.

So now she as an adverse imigration history hence we are applying for a visit visa first.

She has a letter of invitation from my son, and she will also have a return ticket will these be enough do you think.

Love pads x

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 am

My suggestion would be for you to stand as their third-party financial sponsor and she applies for settlement on that basis. The child is British by descent and can apply directly for a passport at the Washington British consulate.

A visit application may prove to be no easier than an application for settlement; particularly if the child is travelling with her. She has to demonstrate her ties to home and intention to leave the UK after any visit. However, her motivation for this may be compromised by the fact that her strongest tie (her husband and the child's father) is resident in the UK with no apparent intention to leave and live in the USA. Her strong ties will include any reason or circumstance that keeps her in the USA and currently prevents her from settling in the UK with her partner. That could be work or study, or some other family commitment that means she has to remain there for the time being. Anything that will motivate her return rather than simply staying in the UK with her husband. Anyone who is free to visit the UK for five straight months may be an indication that they have no pressing commitments in the USA.

I'm not saying that it's not possible but you should prepare the application very carefully with regard to what has been stated above.

pads

Post by pads » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:47 am

Hi thanks for your reply.

It isn't possible for me to stand as there third party support because I am currently on benefits, though he does have family members who are not on benefits non of them are willing to help him :cry:

I agree with what you have said but the only thing she has ties to in the US is her mum, who is not in good health at the moment do you think this would be sufficient and how do we prove this.

Love pads x

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 am

pads wrote: the only thing she has ties to in the US is her mum, who is not in good health at the moment do you think this would be sufficient and how do we prove this.
I don't know; perhaps by demonstrating that the mother needs her constant care and she can't leave her for extended periods. But how does that square with a five month absence when she visits the UK? Often these visit decisions are very arbitrary and an appeal judge may help by citing the human rights (with regard to the father seeing his child) issues so perhaps she should apply with the best information she currently has and hope for the best and appeal any refusal.

Does your son not have any type of job? Are they both over 21 years?

archipelago

Post by archipelago » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Visit for much less than 5 months on the next visit.

pads

Post by pads » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:52 am

Yes my son works full time for a bank,

He is 24 my DIL is 22.

She can't visit for less than 5 months, though I understand the rationale behind this the timing won't work, She wants to come in November for my GD first birthday.

My son won't have the money to apply for the spouse visa until march could possibly go back end of february but that would still be 4 month.

Love pads x