ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering child as british citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

coolrock

Registering child as british citizen

Post by coolrock » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am

Hello,

Once I get my ILR processed, I am planning to register my daughter born in June 2011 to register as a british citizen and then go for british passport.

I initially understood that, I need to fill in MN1 form for registration purpose.But I havent applied for an Indian passport for my daughter (as parents are Indians) believing that I can apply for British passport as soon as I get my ILR done. But reading the MN1 guide, it talks about stateless and says

'If an application is being made on the basis that
the child is stateless (i.e. he or she does not have the nationality of any country), an application should be made on form S2 or S3.'

Below are my questions

So now my understanding is in my case, I have to use the above forms instead of MN1. Is that correct? If it is correct, which form should I use (S2 or S3)?

Can you also suggest if its better to get an Indian passport initially for my daughter and then register as British citizen using MN1 form? Will that be a better way to proceed?

If I do that do I need to apply FLR for my daughter as well, before I register my daughter as British citizen? Please explain.

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 am

A passport is merely a travel document. A citizenship is derived from nationality laws and not from a passport application.

See exact same question here.

Your child is Indian not stateless and you should use form MN1. There is no need to apply for an Indian passport or FLR. You can apply directly to register your UK born child once you are granted ILR.

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:14 am

OK thank you, I also meant registering with Indian High commission as Indian citizen for my daughter, but reading the topic you provided as a link, I understand that I dont need to register either.

So I can say Indian in MN1 form for Nationality field for my daughter, correct?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am

Yes.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm

coolrock wrote:HI All,

I am planning to register my daughter using MN1 form as soon as I get my ILR processed successfully.

My situation is as follows

I will be in ILR when I register my daughter but my wife will be in FLR, as she hasnt lived in UK for 2 years to get ILR. I am planning to submit MN1 form as soon as I get my ILR processed while my wife's FLR is under process.

So I will be submitting just my passport with ILR stamp on it and I wont be providing any docs from my wife for MN1 registration. Is that sufficient? Please advice.

Thank you
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Ok Sushdmehta, I will cont here, can you please respond to my post?

Thank you

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Hello,

Any response please?

Thank you

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Guide MN1 explains the documentary evidence required for an application to register a child as a British citizen.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:59 pm

coolrock wrote:Hi All,

I got my ILR processed successfully. I am waiting for my wife's FLR to be processed in couple of weeks time.

I am planning to register my daughter born in the UK as a British citizen under sec 1(3). However I am not quite sure in which of the below categories my daughter(4 months old) would fit in.

Single Interview £60.00
One Adult or One Minor
Couple Interview £80.00
Husband and Wife or Civil Partners living together and applying at the same time or one parent and one minor
Family Interview £100.00
Two parents and two minors or one parent and up to three minors
Additional Minor(s) £30.00 per minor
Additional Adult(s) £60.00 per adult

Can someone advise please?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Perhaps
coolrock wrote:Single Interview £60.00
One Adult or One Minor
But, shouldn't you be asking this from the NCS office you intend to go to rather than on a forum?

coolrock

Post by coolrock » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Sushmedha,

The NCS office has a automated phone that asks for a booking ref number...So thought of asking the question in the forum if some one had come across similar situation in the past!!!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm

coolrock wrote:The NCS office has a automated phone that asks for a booking ref number...So thought of asking the question in the forum if some one had come across similar situation in the past!!!!
Not possible because people cannot expect to have a booking reference number before being allowed to book an appointment!!

And how do you think anyone would know which NCS are you referring to - unless you post that information?