ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa refused MBA TOP UP

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

focusatme
Newly Registered

student visa refused MBA TOP UP

Post by focusatme » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:04 pm

hi there,
i've applied for top up program (MBA) in LSBF in august 2011. However, i been assigned CAS on the basis PGD (level 7 from Edexcel) . the college assessed my english language competency against edexcel diploma and i been told that this diploma does fullfill all requirments of your english language ,therefore , i dont need to send my IELTS result to ukba, i have got IELTS 7.5. Today, i got a refusal letter from ukba stating that i don't meet the requirments for English language hence i'm refused.

MY question is if level 7 diploma from edexcel is higher than Bachelor degree then why its not been accepted ? furthermore , it also stated that LSBF neither an awarding body nor HEI so i dont fullfill the requirments of my English language . i'm very much upset as i dont have right of appeal , and right of review ,too. any help be great .thanks camron

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:06 pm

The requirement you are referring to is that the applicant

...has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA, and provides the specified documents

A Post graduate diploma is not equivalent to a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree or a PhD and therefore does not exempt you from taking an English language test if you are studying at an institution which is not an HEI or a Recognised body.

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:16 pm

thanks for you reply ....its very helpfull !!!! do you think would i be able to apply for refund from college as college assessed my english language competency against that diploma although i provided my IELTS 7.5 to college ? thanks

tuliprose
Member of Standing

Post by tuliprose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm

focusatme wrote:thanks for you reply ....its very helpfull !!!! do you think would i be able to apply for refund from college as college assessed my english language competency against that diploma although i provided my IELTS 7.5 to college ? thanks
If you had IELTS 7.5 then why didn't you ask college to mention you IELTS in CAS letter? You only needed 5.5 in each band.

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

i sent my IELTS results to college , and they assessed my english language against level 7 diploma ...and they said my Level 7 diploma is ok as i studied in uk .... i been to college today, and they taken refusal letter frm me ,and told me that its a mistake by HO as this level does infact fulfil the english language requirement, Moreso , they also told me that they gonna resolve it with homeoffice .....so lets c how it goes.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Greenie wrote:The requirement you are referring to is that the applicant

...has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA, and provides the specified documents

A Post graduate diploma is not equivalent to a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree or a PhD and therefore does not exempt you from taking an English language test if you are studying at an institution which is not an HEI or a Recognised body.
don't quite see how your diploma meets this requirement...

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 pm

thanks for reply...Btec level 7 pg diploma from edexcel is a professional and vocational qualification , furthermore its recognised and have been accredited onto the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). its at the same level as masters degree ,its considerd as a posgraduate qualification in united kingdom . And, ukba's requirement is if a person has done level 6 or higher in unitied kingdom he/she doesn't need to have a certificate of english competency. i aslo emailed EDEXCEL , the awarding body, about this diploma and they varified it that this diploma is as equivilant as masters degreee. But , my poor mind don't understand that why this diploma has not been accepted by ukba?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 pm

If you read the quote from the immigration rules in my post above you will see that the UKBA require the qualification to be an academic qualification, and not a professional or vocational qualification. In addition a PGD may be on the same NQF scale as a master's degree but this doesn't mean it is equivalent to a master's degree. Let us know what the response from UKBA is to your college's representations...

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:53 pm

i had a phone call from ukba today and they advised me to bring my refusal letter and passport to home office on 28th ....i'm not sure what's it all about perhaps they are over turning the decisions? or would cancel my old visa which is going to be expired on june next year?

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 pm

hello , The home office turned over the decision of refusal and issued me visa till dec 2012 althogh i had no right of apeal and review . :)

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm

They called you on 28th and you got your visa on 25th? Did they come to your home? :P

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 pm

i had appointment on 28th ,during all this time my college was communicating with them , i called to that number which was mentioned on my appointment letter and i been told so that decision is over-turned and i been given leave to remain till december 2012....i'm not as fortune as you they come to your home to issue you visa against personal favours!!! you are either lucky or you have something attractive to offer i don't possess that . :)

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm

focusatme wrote:i had appointment on 28th ,during all this time my college was communicating with them , i called to that number which was mentioned on my appointment letter and i been told so that decision is over-turned and i been given leave to remain till december 2012....i'm not as fortune as you they come to your home to issue you visa against personal favours!!! you are either lucky or you have something attractive to offer i don't possess that . :)
Chill out dude! Gosh where is ur sense of humour! ?

vkbairi

Post by vkbairi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am

focusatme wrote:i had appointment on 28th ,during all this time my college was communicating with them , i called to that number which was mentioned on my appointment letter and i been told so that decision is over-turned and i been givem doing mba topn leave to remain till december 2012....i'm not as fortune as you they come to your home to issue you visa against personal favours!!! you are either lucky or you have something attractive to offer i don't possess that . :)

Hi ya

Are you sure,your decision was remade.bcz am also in same situation.my visa was refused for the same reason.im doing mba top up,i applied for extension for with level 7 qulaification without english level b2.they refused for english requirement.now am on appeal.it is ripping my mule with lots of expensess.can i have the contact number of home office.

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

yes , they over-turned their decision and issued me visa till dec 212....if you have BTEC LEVEL 7(Edexcel) then contact yr college to contact ukba ....i'm sure it b resolved ...i wasn't the only one my all classmates 6 or 7 had same issue but all ,finally , got visa now ..
goodluck