ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIER1 MARRIED TO A BRITISH WITH BRITISH CHILD

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ruvi
Newly Registered

TIER1 MARRIED TO A BRITISH WITH BRITISH CHILD

Post by ruvi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I would like some help, i am married to a British citizen, and have two children you automatically became British because of their father. my husband applied for tax credits and was awarded child tax credits and working tax credits for me. i called hmrc when i received the cheque for tax credits to tell them i was on a visa with no recourse to public funds. they told me that because my husband was British i could get the working tax credits. and refereed me to their website . it dose say so. my question is will the home office decline me because of these tax credits. and how best can i show that i got them as per what hmrc told me. i would have extended my stay as a spouse but my husband got made redundant, and my job seems insecure so he wouldn't be able to sponsor me as a spouse.

please help i am losing sleep over this issues.

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:17 am

I'm assuming that they guided you to this area of their website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start ... /index.htm

Provided that you acted within the rules and didn't mislead anyone at HMRC it would be hard to see that you have gone wrong and broken any rules. Although miscommunication between government departments isn't unheard of, it is unlikely that HMRC will have drafted one set of rules and UKBA another without any consultation between each other.

However, of course, I'm not a UKBA officer and do not wish to try and second guess how they will act. If in doubt you should just spend a few £s and call them - taking down all details of the call and call representative. Ditto with HMRC - just telephone them again.

In terms of showing them that you played by HMRC's rules then just print out the rules and provide all the documentation and correspondence records around it. However from your calls to UKBA and HMRC it may not even come to this.

All the best.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.