ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Case and fees..illegal?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ZambranoCase
Newly Registered

Zambrano Case and fees..illegal?

Post by ZambranoCase » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Hello Forum,

This website was recommended to me by a friend and I will like the opinion of members. I recently got a Stamp 4 as the parent of an Irish child based on the Zambrano law, I was under the impression that since this right was under the auspices of the EU, no fees would be attached. However, I had to pay €150 and was told I have to pay for re-entry visas if I travelled out of the state.

A friend of mine who got her residence in the UK under the Zambrano law got her own for free and doesnt need to pay for re-entry visas if she travels out of the UK. However, I think the UK gives a more favourable interpretation of Zambrano because it states in her approval letter that she is entitiled to work/study/start a business and claim social welfare immediately, they even go further by saying absences from the state does not affect her residency in the state as it is in the interest of the child for her to have contact with her parent. In other words, as stated in her approval letter she can make an application for extension of her residence outside of the UK.

I asked the Immigration officer and he said it was up to the state to determine the interpretation of the Zambrano law and the state classifies eligible people as same as previous cases of the Irish born child scheme.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about the category Zambrano sucessful applicants come under or do we have to wait till someone takes the case to the ECJ for adjudication?

daddy
Member of Standing

Re: Zambrano Case and fees..illegal?

Post by daddy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 am

ZambranoCase wrote:Hello Forum,

This website was recommended to me by a friend and I will like the opinion of members. I recently got a Stamp 4 as the parent of an Irish child based on the Zambrano law, I was under the impression that since this right was under the auspices of the EU, no fees would be attached. However, I had to pay €150 and was told I have to pay for re-entry visas if I travelled out of the state.

A friend of mine who got her residence in the UK under the Zambrano law got her own for free and doesnt need to pay for re-entry visas if she travels out of the UK. However, I think the UK gives a more favourable interpretation of Zambrano because it states in her approval letter that she is entitiled to work/study/start a business and claim social welfare immediately, they even go further by saying absences from the state does not affect her residency in the state as it is in the interest of the child for her to have contact with her parent. In other words, as stated in her approval letter she can make an application for extension of her residence outside of the UK.

I asked the Immigration officer and he said it was up to the state to determine the interpretation of the Zambrano law and the state classifies eligible people as same as previous cases of the Irish born child scheme.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about the category Zambrano sucessful applicants come under or do we have to wait till someone takes the case to the ECJ for adjudication?
Can you pls confirm to us how long it took your friend to recieve her certificate of application. Pls help, for the benefit of those who are facing same issue.
Thanks,
Daddy.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Were those UK laws more under normal UK immigration laws as oppose to EU laws?

There is doubt as to whether or not EU law applies once one has got their Zambrano right, ie whether or not the parent lives in state on basis of domestic immigration laws or under eu law like others who qualified under the directive.

that is one question, i understand that the Austrians have put before the European courts. no one can validly state whether it is right or wrong, because the courts in zambrano,unhelpfully, did not explained this

the immigration officer's explanation sounds dodgy. only eu courts interpret eu law, not domestics

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:59 pm

I believe the situation is that there is no charge for registration of the EU FAM Card appiled for under Directive 2004/38. However, Zambrano applications fall under the TFEU directly so that there is no rule against charging for GNIB Card for the Zambrano folks. It's not fair and certainly not within the spirit of the Directive but it is at the current time, a correct interpretation of the law.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:14 am

I don't agree with that interpretation. Directive 2004/38EC is secondary legislation that was implemented to give effect to rights under the treaty. Zambrano in intended to give effect to rights under the treaty. There are no material difference bween the two sources of rights as they both originated directly or indirectly from the treaty, except i am bullshitting, i think the Irish are wrong to charge a fee, if such Fees are not charged to Irish Citizens
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:00 am

Muttsnuts wrote:

I believe the situation is that there is no charge for registration of the EU FAM Card appiled for under Directive 2004/38. However, Zambrano applications fall under the TFEU directly so that there is no rule against charging for GNIB Card for the Zambrano folks. It's not fair and certainly not within the spirit of the Directive but it is at the current time, a correct interpretation of the law.
You may be right, but you say the spirit of the Directive. You can't impose obligations of the Directive on a Member State, when its clear that the applicant does not comply with that Directive.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 am

Obie wrote:I don't agree with that interpretation. Directive 2004/38EC is secondary legislation that was implemented to give effect to rights under the treaty. Zambrano in intended to give effect to rights under the treaty. There are no material difference bween the two sources of rights as they both originated directly or indirectly from the treaty, except i am bullshitting, i think the Irish are wrong to charge a fee, if such Fees are not charged to Irish Citizens

Is there anything in Article 45 TFEU and 18 TFEU that says, you can't charge a fee which merely covers administrative costs regarding Non EU's? Case law? Considering that all EU citizens are expected not to be an "unreasonable" burden to the host state, how is a fee of €150 seen as hindering / putting an obstacle to one's interest in moving to Ireland.

It is arguable that EU law only stepped into the Zambrano case just to stop the deportation of the parent. After that, domestic law applies, as no actual exercise of Treaty rights had yet occurred. If so, as you know, IBC Scheme charged. So it makes sense to do likewise with the Zambrano boys.

Hey, I ain't personally commenting on whether you are right or wrong. EU law is very quite on this. I just want to see where you are coming from on this, as I did not follow how you came to this conclusion. You might be right. But it would be no harm where you got your sources.

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
You may be right, but you say the spirit of the Directive. You can't impose obligations of the Directive on a Member State, when its clear that the applicant does not comply with that Directive.

I mention that its against the spirit of the Directive as Directive 2004/38 is commonly called the Citizenship directive, it's meant to contain/explain all of the conditions on free movement.

I am not for one minute suggesting that Zambrano applications fall under the auspices of the Directive as the Directive does not provide for such a scenario. As you are aware, the Zambrano judgement refers to Article 20 of the TFEU as the basis of the right of the non-EU parent to reside in the dependent Child's country of Nationality.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:26 pm

If you read Article 46 of the Treaty, you will notice that a power is conferred on the European Parliament, to make regulations or Directives, in order to give effect to the rights under article 45. Which is the right to move and work within the community.

The directive is a secondary legislation adopted to give effect to rights under the treaty.

This is not a topic that merit arguement, it is plain and clear.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 am

Muttsnuts wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:

I mention that its against the spirit of the Directive as Directive 2004/38 is commonly called the Citizenship directive, it's meant to contain/explain all of the conditions on free movement.

I am not for one minute suggesting that Zambrano applications fall under the auspices of the Directive as the Directive does not provide for such a scenario. As you are aware, the Zambrano judgement refers to Article 20 of the TFEU as the basis of the right of the non-EU parent to reside in the dependent Child's country of Nationality.
I know what you said, but you can't invoke a spirit into the Directive that was not clearly intended.

Zambrano says nothing that assists the op in the question that still needs answering. Also, there are now question marks as to whether Zambrano applies in general or whether it applies to only where both parents are non eu's.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 am

Obie wrote:If you read Article 46 of the Treaty, you will notice that a power is conferred on the European Parliament, to make regulations or Directives, in order to give effect to the rights under article 45. Which is the right to move and work within the community.

The directive is a secondary legislation adopted to give effect to rights under the treaty.

This is not a topic that merit arguement, it is plain and clear.
What is your point?, Article 46 has no direct effect.,but it seeks to implement provisions under Article 45 only. Article 45TFEU clearly and only deals with WORKERS, Not the case as per Zambrano. The Parliament acts in co-operation with the Council of Ministers, why did you exclude mentioning Council?

What argument are you trying to make?

People who say its plain and clear, should never say that when they don't read properly. It can embarrass them when they get it utter wrong.

MSH

Post by MSH » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:13 am

The Zambrano-judgement explicitly states the right of residence afforded to Mr. Zambrano derives directly from art. 20 and NOT Directive 2004/38/EC.

HOWEVER, what if a third-country parent don't have the money to pay for their residence permit under Zambrano? Will they then be denied a permit by the Irish authorities and will they therefore have to leave the territory of the Union with their Union citizen child(ren)?

If I was living in Ireland and I found myself in a position where I would have to apply for residence based on Zambrano I would contact a legal service and have them help me draw up a letter to the Irish authorities in which I would clearly state that I refuse to pay for my Zambrano residence permit since I do not have the financial means to do so and since it its unlawful anyway for this extra demand to be attached to a RIGHT my Union citizen clid(ren) already have according to community law.

MSH.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 am

just a thought, doesn't it states that under zambrano parents have to be able to support their children financially without becoming a burden on a state...
if that is a case, and the person cannot afford to pay 150 euros for the GNIB card, how can they support their children? (mind you that 150 euros is a once off payment for a 3 year card)

MSH

Post by MSH » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:30 pm

agniukas wrote:just a thought, doesn't it states that under zambrano parents have to be able to support their children financially without becoming a burden on a state...
if that is a case, and the person cannot afford to pay 150 euros for the GNIB card, how can they support their children? (mind you that 150 euros is a once off payment for a 3 year card)
Well, the judgement states that Mr. Zambrano should be allowed to work SO THAT HE IS ABLE TO SUPPORT HIS UNION CITIZEN CHILDREN.

How can someone pay for a residence and work-permit which they need in order to make money, BEFORE they even have it in their hand?

Makes no sense to me.

Also, where does the Zambrano-judgement state the right to remain on Union territory is only reserved for children of WORKING third-country parents?

Regards,

MSH.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:35 am

MSH wrote:The Zambrano-judgement explicitly states the right of residence afforded to Mr. Zambrano derives directly from art. 20 and NOT Directive 2004/38/EC.

HOWEVER, what if a third-country parent don't have the money to pay for their residence permit under Zambrano? Will they then be denied a permit by the Irish authorities and will they therefore have to leave the territory of the Union with their Union citizen child(ren)?

If I was living in Ireland and I found myself in a position where I would have to apply for residence based on Zambrano I would contact a legal service and have them help me draw up a letter to the Irish authorities in which I would clearly state that I refuse to pay for my Zambrano residence permit since I do not have the financial means to do so and since it its unlawful anyway for this extra demand to be attached to a RIGHT my Union citizen clid(ren) already have according to community law.

MSH.
Good Questions, but, lets get real here, if it was under the normal Irish Rules, the family would always somehow be able to cough up the €150. They would get a lend of it from someone and pay back later. Many have private lawyers (I am of this view because Legal Aid Don't cover High Court Cases) , so €150 is hardly going to prevent them to register. So why treat this registration fee, Assuming that the fee is legal, any different.

It's worth nothing too, that these families, (most of them) don't have a cat in hell's chance of getting employment in this country, at this time. They will have no choice but to rely on Social Welfare. Question is, how can these people genuinely be able to say that their child is dependent on them. (There are legitimate questions as to whether dependence truly means only financial - I am inclined to believe its more than that)

I find it funny, that you would not pay the €150, yet you will be happy to pay over twice/triple etc the amount on a lawyer (assuming you will be honest enough to pay your legal fees) in a situation where there is no guarantee that you are correct (to be fair, also nothing really to say that your wrong) Your case subject would say that they don't have the finance to pay the fees, yet, the headed note paper from your solicitor will suggest that you can. You are also shooting yourself in the foot by saying that the child is not really financially dependent on you. Well done. I would simply stick to your belief that it infringes Zambrano, if I were you (say nothing about your ability to pay)

What would you say if your case study actually got residence under eg IBC scheme or some other project?

I will ask a second time, to those who claim that its wrong (I am not doubting it, but neither do I accept the arguments put up, so far) point out the actual source for this ground. What are the other countries doing?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 am

MSH wrote:
agniukas wrote:just a thought, doesn't it states that under zambrano parents have to be able to support their children financially without becoming a burden on a state...
Well, the judgement states that Mr. Zambrano should be allowed to work SO THAT HE IS ABLE TO SUPPORT HIS UNION CITIZEN CHILDREN.

How can someone pay for a residence and work-permit which they need in order to make money, BEFORE they even have it in their hand?

Makes no sense to me.

Also, where does the Zambrano-judgement state the right to remain on Union territory is only reserved for children of WORKING third-country parents?

Regards,

MSH.
And the chances for most of these parents getting a job to do that, in this country and , and slim and none. To suggest otherwise is wishful thinking.

The poster that you referred to never suggested that. But, EU law expects that people are not social welfare scroungers. (exception of Teixeria & Ibrahim cases involving Article 12 Regulation 1612/68)

Going by EU case's , "Dependence" refers to financial. (Going even by Chen case - slightly different issues, and it has not being overruled, this also is confirmed) How can you be dependent if really upon state assistance? (and unlike other EU citizens who are fully entitled to it, because of their employment history)

Yet if the EU citizen was an adult, it would need to comply with Article 7, in order to be allowed to bring his non eu family over. Age discrimination, well done EU.

All said and done, it would be helpful that the CJEU comments on this.

Looks like, in light of who the State has been far to the IBC crowd, one would be more inclined to hope that domestic law applied instead (which did not, despite initially demanding that they are economically viable, make a big deal on many parents who never worked despite the good times - I don't say, all parents did not work. That would be unfair - untrue)

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 am

MSH wrote:

Makes no sense to me.

Regards,

MSH.
It makes no sense?

Many people who came legitimately to Ireland under the Work Permit Scheme had to personally pay , directly or indirectly (you can be damn sure, before the 2006 legislation, the bosses deducted their pay to get cost back) paid for their work permits. Not all of these guys came from well to do backgrounds. ALL before the first pay package.

THey would have to pay the fee, and would pay the fee if under domestic rules (The idea of a family never registering due to fee would have got the pro immigration self appointees up in arms and in the media - so little or no evidence that its an obstacle)

Argument, if you are wrong about EU law (again, I am not saying yes/no) is jolly self serving.

MSH

Post by MSH » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 pm

No offense, Mr. Walrus, but I'm really only interested in discussing community law.

And I assume Ireland have free legal advice services run by law students like in most other European metropoles..

MSH.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Walrusgrumble, i don't mean any offence, but it will be hugely helpful if you could study the treaty or at least give a quick glance of its content, in order to further enhance your knowledge regarding the source of the authority which give rise to the provision of dircetive and treaty.

Directive 2004/38EC is not an ends to itself, it was implemented to give effect to rights under the treaty.
[b]Article 46 States[/b] wrote:
Article 46
(ex Article 40 TEC)
The European Parliament and the Council shall, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative procedure and after consulting the Economic and Social Committee, issue directives or make regulations setting out the measures required to bring about freedom of movement for workers, as defined in Article 45, in particular:
[b]Article 20 States[/b] wrote:
Article 20
(ex Article 17 TEC)
1. Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.
2. Citizens of the Union shall enjoy the rights and be subject to the duties provided for in the Treaties. They shall have, inter alia:
(a) the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States;
(b) the right to vote and to stand as candidates in elections to the European Parliament and in municipal elections in their Member State of residence, under the same conditions as nationals of that State;EN C 83/56 Official Journal of the European Union 30.3.2010
(c) the right to enjoy, in the territory of a third country in which the Member State of which they are nationals is not represented, the protection of the diplomatic and consular authorities of any Member State on the same conditions as the nationals of that State;
(d) the right to petition the European Parliament, to apply to the European Ombudsman, and to address the institutions and advisory bodies of the Union in any of the Treaty languages and to obtain a reply in the same language.
These rights shall be exercised in accordance with the conditions and limits defined by the Treaties and by the measures adopted thereunder.[/b]
The only reason why the citizen directive does not apply to Zambrano is because there is no movement, but the principles which determines whether or not payment for documents issued under the provision of the directive or treaty should be required, applies mutatis mutandis to Zambrano as well, otherwise the state will be in breach of community law, and in particular the treaty, by acting in a discriminatory manner, ie requiring payment to be made for the issuing of document, which is not applicable to other EU citizens( Reverse Discrimination) or the Spouse of Irish Citizens ( Direct Discrimination).

It is important to note that reverse discrimination or any other form of discrimination ()Overt or covert) is prohibited by the treaty, especially if it is geared against people covered by the provisions of it.

In Ireland, chen parents don't pay for issuance of resident card. The situation of chen benificiaries and zambrano, can be easily assimilated.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:45 am

Obie wrote:Walrusgrumble, i don't mean any offence, but it will be hugely helpful if you could study the treaty or at least give a quick glance of its content, in order to further enhance your knowledge regarding the source of the authority which give rise to the provision of dircetive and treaty.

Directive 2004/38EC is not an ends to itself, it was implemented to give effect to rights under the treaty.
[b]Article 46 States[/b] wrote:
Article 46
(ex Article 40 TEC)
The European Parliament and the Council shall, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative procedure and after consulting the Economic and Social Committee, issue directives or make regulations setting out the measures required to bring about freedom of movement for workers, as defined in Article 45, in particular:
[b]Article 20 States[/b] wrote:
Article 20
(ex Article 17 TEC)
1. Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.
2. Citizens of the Union shall enjoy the rights and be subject to the duties provided for in the Treaties. They shall have, inter alia:
(a) the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States;
(b) the right to vote and to stand as candidates in elections to the European Parliament and in municipal elections in their Member State of residence, under the same conditions as nationals of that State;EN C 83/56 Official Journal of the European Union 30.3.2010
(c) the right to enjoy, in the territory of a third country in which the Member State of which they are nationals is not represented, the protection of the diplomatic and consular authorities of any Member State on the same conditions as the nationals of that State;
(d) the right to petition the European Parliament, to apply to the European Ombudsman, and to address the institutions and advisory bodies of the Union in any of the Treaty languages and to obtain a reply in the same language.
These rights shall be exercised in accordance with the conditions and limits defined by the Treaties and by the measures adopted thereunder.[/b]
The only reason why the citizen directive does not apply to Zambrano is because there is no movement, but the principles which determines whether or not payment for documents issued under the provision of the directive or treaty should be required, applies mutatis mutandis to Zambrano as well, otherwise the state will be in breach of community law, and in particular the treaty, by acting in a discriminatory manner, ie requiring payment to be made for the issuing of document, which is not applicable to other EU citizens( Reverse Discrimination) or the Spouse of Irish Citizens ( Direct Discrimination).

It is important to note that reverse discrimination or any other form of discrimination ()Overt or covert) is prohibited by the treaty, especially if it is geared against people covered by the provisions of it.

In Ireland, chen parents don't pay for issuance of resident card. The situation of chen benificiaries and zambrano, can be easily assimilated.
Obie, your often blatant ignorance of EU law is offensive. Where the hell did you get the moderator job? . Why don't you contact Solvit to see if they think otherwise. Better still, go an read a basic text book on EU law.

Article 45 deals with "worker". Article 46 deals with the power of the Institutional to deal with legislating Article 45. Examples such as Directive 2004 /38 EC or Regulation 1612/68. The fact that they are in separate chapters and sections (ie FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS, SERVICES AND CAPITAL) should be a clue. Unfortunately, it has flown over the head of the moderator. Its extremely rich for you to make such a comment when it is evident that you are unable to read legislation properly.

The reason why Citizenship and worker is so interlinked and is potentially the same is only because most citizenship who move to another EU state are / were / retained the status of worker. IE as per case law (and not the stuff you make up as you go along) an economic activity ...... that is done under the direction, request and supervision of another. You don't fall within that, you are not a worker. If your not a worker, then Article 45 don't apply, regardless of your EU citizenship.

But you might be self employed (article 49 or 56) or a student, or self sufficient. If your neither, you can, in principle, be asked to leave, or validly refused an application on family reunification because you are no longer "legal".

A discussion pre Lisbon, but the numberings are noted. But sure, a great student of the legislation like you, will have no problem in not confusing yourself of the numbering

http://grahnlaw.blogspot.com/2008/04/eu ... t-for.html

The Text itself

(a)by ensuring close cooperation between national employment services;

(b)by abolishing those administrative procedures and practices and those qualifying periods in respect of eligibility for available employment, whether resulting from national legislation or from agreements previously concluded between Member States, the maintenance of which would form an obstacle to liberalisation of the movement of workers;

(c)by abolishing all such qualifying periods and other restrictions provided for either under national legislation or under agreements previously concluded between Member States as imposed on workers of other Member States conditions regarding the free choice of employment other than those imposed on workers of the State concerned;

(d)by setting up appropriate machinery to bring offers of employment into touch with applications for employment and to facilitate the achievement of a balance between supply and demand in the employment market in such a way as to avoid serious threats to the standard of living and level of employment in the various regions and industries.

Definition of worker is liberal, but it has its limits. There is not one iota of a mention of Article 20 or 21 there. If the person works, yes 20 and 21 is relevant, but it can be trumped by Article 45(3) and 45 (4) (not relevant in this particular discussion) when concerning employment and residency.

Regardless, there is no direct effect in Article 46.

Reason why Zambrano did not apply was because

1. There was no movement

2. Even if there was movement (lets pretend that the child came from other EU state), the child would not be in a position to fall within Article 45, 49, or 56. As such, neither the directive 2004 / 38.

They might no have fallen within Reg 1612/68, but might have fallen within self sufficiency under Directive 2004 38 via Chen.

Zambrano, the Courts said ABSOLUTELY NOTING ABOUT THE FEES. It said little on whether they now will reside under Belgian law. They certainly did not rule that out. It is evident that the Zambrano Court failed to make it clear, because Austria are asking the question now. (I am not in principle saying that you are wrong, I am saying, your reasons are incorrect) . Point out the actual text of the Judgment and even the Advocate General's text in Zambrano that supports your contention.

The part before you start talking about reverse discrimination, is drivel. BUT , You should have stuck your argument to the latter end, which at least is arguable and more intelligently argued. You may have a point or you will have a point, if EU law is accepted to apply regarding the living rules. There is no dispute about that.

What is dispute/ questionable / in doubt is whether or not the family will live under EU law or domestic. If not, what you have said is irrelevant (personally I doubt EJ court would tolerate that), if you are it is, you are correct, but I never argued otherwise. Its a case of horse before the cart. 1st step, does EU law apply, then you can babble on. I was only dealing with the former and you were arguing the latter (which I don't disagree)

But, its also arguable that, . Zambrano says absolutely nothing on the fee issue or whether EU law in fact exists after the right is sought. The fact that the Austrians have asked these questions is a clear indication. Compare to AG Sharpson ,off the wall but at least meaty opinion, the Court's response (ie the people who count) was pathetic (ie very very very brief judgment) Point out in the text of both Sharpson and most importantly the Court, that supports your argument.

By all means, the people who don't feel that the fee is correct, should refuse to pay it and challenge it. What has the Irish NGO's got to say about it?[/b]

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 am

walrusgumble wrote: I know what you said, but you can't invoke a spirit into the Directive that was not clearly intended.

Zambrano says nothing that assists the op in the question that still needs answering. Also, there are now question marks as to whether Zambrano applies in general or whether it applies to only where both parents are non eu's.
Actually, I think you're wrong. A Zambrano type situation was not intended on the strict wording of the Directive, but that is only because it was not contemplated while drafting the Directive. It's clear that the Directive is meant to be a codification of the principles on free movement exhibitied in the TFEU. The ECJ in deciding Zambrano based it on Article 20 of TFEU becuase they could not base it on the Directive, but that does not alter the ECJ's obvious opinion that the Zambrano type scenario should have been covered by the Directive and therefore, came within the spirrit of the Directive.

In Ireland, there has been no distinction been made in cases where both parents are non-EU nationals and where only one parent is a non-EU National. In both of these types of cases, Zambrano applications are being granted by DoJ. In addition, where the couple has split, the DoJ has requested access and maintenance orders from the District Courts, so it seems that the DoJ is taking a lenient view of the judgement.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Muttsnuts wrote:
walrusgumble wrote: I know what you said, but you can't invoke a spirit into the Directive that was not clearly intended.

Actually, I think you're wrong. A Zambrano type situation was not intended on the strict wording of the Directive, but that is only because it was not contemplated while drafting the Directive. It's clear that the Directive is meant to be a codification of the principles on free movement exhibitied in the TFEU. The ECJ in deciding Zambrano based it on Article 20 of TFEU becuase they could not base it on the Directive, but that does not alter the ECJ's obvious opinion that the Zambrano type scenario should have been covered by the Directive and therefore, came within the spirrit of the Directive.

In Ireland, there has been no distinction been made in cases where both parents are non-EU nationals and where only one parent is a non-EU National. In both of these types of cases, Zambrano applications are being granted by DoJ. In addition, where the couple has split, the DoJ has requested access and maintenance orders from the District Courts, so it seems that the DoJ is taking a lenient view of the judgement.
1. You can't comment on what the Member States did and did not intend when they decided to enact Directive 2004 /38 EC. This is because, as the Courts themselves consistently point out, the minutes and preparation documents are not published. Even the Courts don't pretend that they can or do. The interpretation given, comes solely from the Courts, themselves. They have no power to legislate. The fact that in the Zambrano case, a substantial number of States (ie States of genuine standing) and the COMMISSION itself argue against the applicant's clearly suggests that the view held by you is not one shared by the law makers. Going by what the Directive actually says, its clear what the directive deals with. The fact that another Member State, one not known to be entirely bad boys when it comes to Free movement, has put questions to the Court, regarding fees and what the Treaty and Directive would say, is another clear indication that is not a black and white matter. There is doubt, that is all that's being said.

2. The Fact that the Court in Zambrano said that that the Directive is NOT RELEVANT and refused to rule on that side of the argument, is also a similar conclusion in the Chen case, which considered similar Directives (now repealed by Directive 2004 but substantially containing the exact same provisions). You may have an argument in the Treaty itself, but not on this Directive. That is all that is being pointed out. So you are wrong.

3. Returning to what was and what was not intended, I put it to you that you may be wrong. There was plenty of cases before Directive 2004 (which came in 2006, and enacted before Chen) such as Chen case to suggest that the Member States had plenty of foresight to know what it was dealing with ie Non Nationals coming into a country taking advantage of laxed citizenship rules. (I don't in any way suggest anything sinster there). The Directive is crystal clear that unless there is actual movement, the matter maybe an internal issue. If its an internal issue, EU law don't apply. Zambrano , is a once off exception.

Secondly, cases like Baumbast, D'Hoop, Bidar concerned social welfare entitlements and student fees involving EU citizens, many of whom would in future, due to an increasing influx of immigration, come from third countries (again, I say nothing adverse). In 2004, (remember some of the cases came shortly before and after the directive,) the Directive dealt with over ruling these judgment in some (but not all instances)at Article 24(2) of the Directive. See Forster 2008 as an example.

So to say that Member States did not foresee these problems is arguably not well founded. Moreover, you speak of codifying previous legislation. You are correct, but the previous legislation did not deal with this either, and Chen, a case where the Child (who could not rely on legislation) had to, as a last gasp and last resort, had to rely upon the COURT's interpretation , however creative, on the Treaty Articles themselves.

The Member States could easily have enacted a Separate Directive to deal with your issues, because they fall outside Directive 2004 / 38 EC and previous. It had plenty of warning from Ireland. Chen after all was one of the few cases actually heard by the full composition of judges in the ECJ, and Ireland got a lot of stick from the Commission over the laws. It did not do so.

You are advocating a stance that the Directive 2004/38 EC does not purport and a stance that the Court themselves don't accept. And you are saying I am wrong? Point out the legal basis for such a contention.

The fact that Zambrano argued on the Treaty does not equate that Directive is now to be interpreted in the way you suggests. There are many other Directives out there. (well, in this case, not really) The Court specifically and expressly ruled out Directive 2004 / 38 EC. It applied the Treaty itself as a stand alone basis. For you to suggest what you have said, would suggest a lack of understanding of the nuances of law. (I am not trying to have a go at you)

3. No one is saying Zambrano rules out anything. I was responding to a posters reference to the Directive, and pointing out that that Directive, as per the case itself, is irrelevant. Its the Treaty Article itself that is relevant.

4. To say Zambrano is legally obvious as oppose to politically or morally (which you might be right) is nonsense. There was no legal basis, as per the precedent of the Courts itself or Treaty to go that far. The Advocate General's Opinion was a political one and not legal. A political one, that clearly was not supported by the Member States and COMMISSION who made submissions at the hearing. However, at least it was a decent explanation that would have given some credibility of the Court actually addressed the issue and ruled in favour. There is an understanding as per Chalmers, that when a Court makes no reference to Advocate General's comments on a issue, it indicates that it ignores or rejects their contention. By the way, this notion that Courts nearly always agrees with Advocate General is entirely bollox and completely unfounded, something academics are realistizing. People who say that actually clearly never reading both, and simply presume just because both read to the same conclusion. That in law is an entirely unsatisfactory response, its the reasoning, from a legal perspective that counts.

The major criticism in The Courts decision, is not per se the actual decision, but the complete lack of expressed reasoning and failure to deal with issues raised by the Advocate General. It suggests that the AG completely wasted her time and giving an interesting account of her view.

Again, for Zambrano, I don't expect that you will appreciate this, because it does not, for one iota, affect you or others, and ye have genuine self interests that it does not.

5. The Court made no comment whatsoever, that Zambrano type cases fall under the Directive. The Court clearly said it did not. So too, did the AG. In McCarthy the Court said that even adults who are in a better position than a child to exercise rights, don't fall within the Directive if they don't comply with it. The Directive is irrelevant. It is the Treaty Article itself that is relevant. The Treaty Article, as a stand alone provision, which would make any reference to any Directive or Regulation irrelevant.

Zambrano does not in any way effect the application and interpretation of Directive 2004. To suggest such,is ignorant of law. I am now calling on you to cite the explicit quotes from Zambrano and subsequent (and relevant cases) that supports your contention.

6. Regarding Ireland and your argument, you have completely misinterpreted what I have said. I made the distinction of where both parents are non Irish / Non EU parents (like Zambrano) and the cases where at least one parent is in fact an EU citizen. There is questions coming from the Department about this, and it will be interesting what the department do while Deccie case is being considered, because, the department can not delay 1-2 years while that case goes through the CJEU. It was also a comment made by our own Courts previously, as it was influenced by McCarthy (though that was an adults case)

In the cases involving where one parent is an EU national, how many posters here, have got a decision yet, and how many have succeeded?

I had mentioned the case where both parents are non eu but one had legal status, what happens then (after all, one of the parents can stay - thus not like Zambrano) it appears, from what I have heard from friends, that Zambrano applies regardless.

The issues regarding splitting, clearly shows that you did not read or understand what I said. At no time have I ever said that that would hurt. At worse, I said, it was an issue that the Minister is looking at. In my previous posts on other threads I have clearly pointed out that as seen in the IBC cases, that that issue is irrelevant, and thus, you are correct.

However, in all cases, and this is what I was getting at here; it is not relevant if parents like each other or are with each other. What is relevant is the question of whether the parent at risk, normally the father, is playing a role in the child's life. Zambrano itself actually talks about "carer". Fathers can show that as per Article 8 ECHR, that he does play a role, without relationship with mother. You are making an argument that I never raised. I hope this confirms that.

The question in Zambrano type cases, where one parent is a eu citizen and the other is not, as per Deccie, asks about whether the child is genuinely dependent on the non eu parent, who may have no right under eu law(eg can't rely on relationship with eu mother and can't work in eu until he gets rights via child . That I don't have an answer for, because I believe that dependence is more than financial. The Spirit of this in EU law is quite. I won't be surprised that Deccie will favour the parent on this and rely on ECHR to do so. At the same time, I won't be too surprised if they rule against

Again. what you said regarding Ireland is correct, but I never said anything about that.

7. I also responded to the nonsense that the fee, assuming that it was correct to apply if EU law is not relevant ( I say if. I don't say that this fee is legal, I have doubts) would be an obstacle. The reasoning was, if the fee is legal, (again, remember, I have only responded to the reasoning of others, which I do not agreeing with ie invocation of the Directive, not the result) then how come so many came up with the money under the domestic ibc schme and were able to , rightly, afford lawyers to go to the high court to deal with bode and dimbo? You don't address that (but to be fair, you simply say that this fee is illegal, you might be correct - but remember i am only critical of the reasoning given - zambrano says nothing and others wrongly talk about the directive)

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:10 pm

@Wals am really glad u were sensible enough to know dependency is more than financing the child.For ur comment about what the Dept are deciding regarding cases where one parent is non eu and the other parent is eu/Irish and how many posters here has succeeded is a complete bollock why?b'cos if the Dept has already granted residency to similar cases in Dublin like the Crawleys,are they gona grant some and leave some?or just revoke the residence permit given out already?Is this Deccie's case an Irish case?
We are nothing but like pencil in the hands of our creator God Almighty

Morrisj
- thin ice -

Post by Morrisj » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:28 pm

oh gat it..Its Dereci and others vs Austria whatever that has got nothing to do with Ireland,doesnt mean Austria made a reference and b'cos of that member states should start misinterpreting Eu laws,they only have to wait and see if it favours the side of memberstates which is very clear it wont thats why other memberstates are not making any reference b'cos if it goes against Austr means only Austria will ve to bear the charges for breaching.Dnt ve a tie with ur arguments just the non eu/eu parent thingy
We are nothing but like pencil in the hands of our creator God Almighty

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Morrisj wrote:@Wals am really glad u were sensible enough to know dependency is more than financing the child.For ur comment about what the Dept are deciding regarding cases where one parent is non eu and the other parent is eu/Irish and how many posters here has succeeded is a complete bollock why?b'cos if the Dept has already granted residency to similar cases in Dublin like the Crawleys,are they gona grant some and leave some?or just revoke the residence permit given out already?Is this Deccie's case an Irish case?
It's complete bollox for you to say that, because when I asked for the information, it was a question and no more. I was not making a point to support any contention. Please either (a) learn to read or (b) if you can read, comment on what was actually said. I don't hear too many people on this site, (who were not students or work permit holders) who actually got a decision whether yes or no.

As for your answer, please specify that better, because it was worded in Double Dutch. I don't understand what you said there.

"b'cos if the Dept has already granted residency to similar cases in Dublin like the Crawleys,are they gona grant some and leave some?or just revoke the residence permit given out already?Is this Deccie's case an Irish case?"

That sounds jibberish,please clarify what you are on about. To answer that, from what I interpret what you said, it depends on the legal status of the third country national. Was this in result of Zambrano? Hence the whole point of asking the question, ie to get an indication of what the department is actually doing. But don't let that little fact go over your head.

By the way, had you read what I said, I queried what the department would do, because Deccie , assuming it will favour the States (no guarantee) can't wait for 2-3 years from Deccie to come out

For argument sake, you ask about revoking etc. You clearly have a memory loss. That exact argument was made during the McCarthy discussion as one regular contributor's partner got a card, only later to realise as per McCarthy, later, that it was not valid, or at least not entitled to renewal. They were wrong. It does not need to be "revoked" but simply expired and refused renewal.

As for dependency, so far, EU case law refers only financial dependency. I of course, don't believe that the Courts will take such an approach later.