ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation in progress - relocating to the UAE

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shs213

Naturalisation in progress - relocating to the UAE

Post by shs213 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi All,

I've accepted a job in the UAE and will be relocating around new year. My wife's naturalisation application is still in progress. By end of dec, the application would 4+ months old and hope we will hear a response by then.

However; if the nat approval doesn't come before we leave; apart from coming back for naturalisation whenever the approval arrives, stay here and applying for the passport and go back on the British PP.... what are my other options pls?

I don't mind coming here for the nat ceremony; however would like to apply for the PP from UAE... Is this possible? From what I read; from the UAE I need to send paper work to Dusseldorf in Germany and when the PP is ready; they will issue an emergency PP to travel to Duss to collect the british PP...

Not sure if the above is applicable for naturalised citizens...

Current nationalisty is Sri Lankan and dual citizenship is not allowed. so not sure about the legalities of travelling back on SL passport with a naturalisation certificate... I know people have views on this; however...

can someone please advise or point me to a contact/solicitor i could ask for some reliable advice?

thanks...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:44 pm

It is possible to just attend the ceremony and then apply for first time passport from the UAE. Although the passport application is processed in Germany, there is no need to travel to Germany to collect the passport. They will post it to UAE. See more info here.

Also worth reading the 1st time application section. This applies to newly naturalised citizens also.

With regards to her Sri-Lanka citizenship, then this depends on Sri-Lanka nationality laws. Some countries (India for example) requires you to surrender the passport if another citizenship is obtained. Would she be able to travel on SL passport? Probably as no one would know she has acquired BC. Is it legal? That depends on SL laws.

shs213

Post by shs213 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Jambo wrote:
With regards to her Sri-Lanka citizenship, then this depends on Sri-Lanka nationality laws. Some countries (India for example) requires you to surrender the passport if another citizenship is obtained. Would she be able to travel on SL passport? Probably as no one would know she has acquired BC. Is it legal? That depends on SL laws.
this is the tricky one!

I "know" SL doesn't allow dual citizenship, HO has not mentioned anuthing about travelling on original passport after nat certificate is obtained...

du know if HO can advise me on next steps on this or should I take solicitor advice?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:00 pm

HO can not advice you on SL laws. You should seek advice from someone who is familiar with SL nationality law. First place to start is to call the High Commission in London and ask.

The UK doesn't require BC to travel with a UK passport when entering and exiting the UK. They can use their other nationality passport if they wish.