ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CTC/HB/CTB when hubby arrives

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SoHopeful

CTC/HB/CTB when hubby arrives

Post by SoHopeful » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

I am just trying to gain an understanding of how the income of my family will be affected once hubby arrives if he is subject to immigration control.

I currently receive the single person discount - will this still be the case even if my husband wasn't working when he arrives?
I know joint claims for income related benefits would be required, but if he is not allowed to claim, will i still be accessed as though he is not in the household?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 pm

You can only make a joint claim for tax credits.

You should not make a joint claim for income related benefits such as Income Support or JSA as you cannot claim additional benefits due to your husband's presence in the UK as he has no recourse to public funds.

You can only claim CTB and HB as a single person - but you need to tell them that your husband has moved in so that they can reassess you if necessary.

You will not be entitled to single person's discount once your husband lives with you.

john1974
Newly Registered

Post by john1974 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 pm

You can only claim CTB and HB as a single person - but you need to tell them that your husband has moved in so that they can reassess you if necessary.

You will not be entitled to single person's discount once your husband lives with you
I AM IN THE SAME POSITION HERE,THEY TOLD ME TODAY THE THE COUNCIL THEY HAVE TO ADD A PARTNER TO YOUR CLAIM AS I WILL BE A COUPLES CLAIM, HOW DO I TELL THEM I WANT A SINGLE PERSONS RATE AS THEY KEPT SAYING WE CARNT DO THAT IT HAS TO BE ADDED, I DONT GET THIS ANY HELP PLEASE

Smining
Newly Registered

Post by Smining » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

john1974 wrote:You can only claim CTB and HB as a single person - but you need to tell them that your husband has moved in so that they can reassess you if necessary.
I have just joined and I hope I will learn a lot of new information here.
I admire the valuable information you offered in your article. Excellent submission very good post.Keep posting thumbs up.

john1974
Newly Registered

Post by john1974 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:09 pm

CAN ANYONE PLEASE OFFER ANY HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE?? IF YOU CAN, THANKS ALL I KNOW YOU DONT GET PAID SO I'M THANKING YOU FOR YOUR TIME BEING HERE

john1974
Newly Registered

Post by john1974 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:07 am

you say this
You can only claim CTB and HB as a single person - but you need to tell them that your husband has moved in so that they can reassess you if necessary
but i was told you cannot make a claim for being single if your a couple. they told me you need to make a claim not as the person who cannot take public funds, your partner and then explain to them from there, but i was told you cannot claim as a single person, i hope someone can explain all of this?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 pm

The way I understand it is, you will be assessed as a single person, but they will take into account ALL income you have as a couple.

Siren

Post by Siren » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

Hi John,

Did u get anywhere with ur council listing ur HB claim as single?

I have exactly the same problem with my local council! See my 2 other posts about this on others threads.

I have my local MP looking into it.

Cheers,

Simon

hbee86
Newly Registered

Post by hbee86 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah my wife and I went through this with JSA. I am a British Citizen and entitled to it, and need it at the moment since I was made redundant. You have to notify the council that your partner is living with you and they will give you a form to fill out to make a couple's claim you cannot claim single because it is benefits fraud.

What they did in our case was when I filled out the form we informed them my wife's visa restricted her and that she is not allowed to receive public funds or work. They sent her to a N.I interview and they made copies of her passport, our marriage certificate and reasons for her needing an N.I and refused her one based on her not requiring one since she cannot work.

The job centre plus was notified of this, and notified of why she was refused the N.I and it is now on their system so they scrapped my couple's claim, added her info to my singles claim and kept me on singles rate. With child tax credits, council tax and housing benefit, all they want to know is that there is proof of your partner's identity which you can prove by sending copies of the N.I application acceptance, and/or the refusal letter for an N.I and in the case of housing benefit, the council website and HMRC states that if one partner has an N.I and is eligible for benefit but if the other partner is not eligible or does not have an N.I they are ignored or treated as having an N.I anyways.

If your partner is subject to immigration control, and you make a joint claim for any benefit they will set up a N.I interview, at the interview they will check the visa status of the partner and if they are ineligible for work or public funds you'll get a letter in the post stating they are not allocated a N.I and you send a copy of that letter to the council and they will accept your claim in most cases.

There is a form called DCI1B that the local authorities send to the N.I office that is for those who cannot get an N.I but since wife and I are legally married, I am not sure how these rules work with unmarried couples and I could imagine it being a lot more difficult in those situations. Do not claim as a single when living with a partner under any circumstance because they will eventually find out and you will end up losing your benefit and can get in trouble for fraud. It is better to be safe than sorry and go through all the hoops and loops and let them decide to keep your claim single rather then claiming single yourself. Depending on the circumstances they may award you couple's rate or they may not, it is up to the local authorities to decide what would be in best interest.

Here are some helpful links:
http://www.housing-rights.info/03_1_2_H ... it_law.php
http://www.housing-rights.info/housing- ... otland.php
http://www.housing-rights.info/index.php
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start ... -claim.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start ... -in-uk.htm