ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK to EEA national, resident for over 17 years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Child born in UK to EEA national, resident for over 17 years

Post by fmdddv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:21 am

Hi all,

I have been living in the UK for 17 years since 1994, I went to school, college, university and worked here.
My baby was born in 2010 and for whom I recently made an application for British passport. I don't have a permanent residence card as I know permanent residence is automatically acquired after 5 years exercising treaty rights.
I have forwarded my P60s to IPS (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010). The problem is in 2009 & 2010, I was only working part-time due and I was not able to find full-time employment due to the economic climate. IPS pointed out that my earnings for those two years were not sufficient and wanted confirmation that I was not in receipt of benefits. I explained that I had received HB for a few months due to only working p/t and on that basis they declined my baby's application.
My question is why is it only the 5 years prior to my baby's birth that are taken into consideration? What about the other 12 years that I've been exercising treaty rights, don't they count for anything?
Also, I wasn't a burden on public fund, merely for a few months, why the automatic disqualification?
I would be grateful for some advice on how to proceed as I am thinking of appealing. Do I have grounds?

Thanks for your replies...

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:05 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 am

Thank you for your reply vinny but how do I put this into words to the IPS?
They still have all my supporting documents, so is it a case of simply writing a letter to them and do I need to forward further supporting documents?
I had already included proof that I started school in this country from 1994 with my original application
I am a bit at a loss as to how to proceed from here.

Thanks for your replies.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Phone IPS and talk to them. Their customer service is quite good.

The fastest way would be to provide P60's for the years 2004-2005 so you will have 5 full years of P60's without benefits.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Jambo wrote:Phone IPS and talk to them. Their customer service is quite good.

The fastest way would be to provide P60's for the years 2004-2005 so you will have 5 full years of P60's without benefits.
Thanks for your reply Jambo, IPS are arguing that the 5 years should be prior to my baby's birth, in my case 2005-2010. That is what I don't quite understand as they are ignoring the fact that I have been settled here since 1994. Prior to 2005, I was a university student.

Thanks for your replies.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:23 pm

IPS are right that the 5 years need to be prior to your son birth although they can be any 5 years not the 5 years just before the birth.

I believe there might also be an issue that under pre-2006 rules, being a EEA national student did not lead to obtaining ILR (or PR is the post-2006 terms) so I'm not sure if you have obtained PR status before 2006. Maybe worth calling the HO to get their advise.

You can also apply for confirmation of British nationality from the HO and use that for a passport application.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks for your reply Jambo.
In late 2010, I was awarded a claim for income support on the basis that I had demonstrated continuous treaty rights for at least 5 years in accordance with the EEA immigration regulations 2000 & 2006.

The decision was that: "On the evidence provided, I have decided that from 08/19/10 the claimant has a right to reside and can be treated as habitually resident in the UK because she has acquired a right of residence as defined by regulation 15(1)(a) and (c) of the immigration EEA regulations 2006.
The above right to reside and habitual residence decision was made in accordance with regulation 21AA(1) and (2) of the income support general regulation 1987."

Can this letter serve has prof of being settled in the UK?

IPS are stressing that the 5 years should be just prior to the child birth, hence 2005-2010 for me. I have argue this with them to no avail.

fmdddv
Mood:
France

Post by fmdddv » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi all,

My son's application was granted. It goes to show that you have to be persistent and that IPS are sometimes wrong in the information they provide. I had to call UKBA nationality department in order to get confirmation for the 5 years, after that IPS admitted they were wrong.

Thanks very much for the help.