ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 dependet visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gcdiwan
Newly Registered
India

tier 4 dependet visa

Post by gcdiwan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi,

I am a PhD student in UK and I came to UK on Tier 4 General student visa (NQF level 7 and a highly trusted sponsor, govt funding) in October 2010. A couple of questions and would greatly appreciate if you can help me on this.

I got married in March 2011 in India. My wife was already studying in the UK on Tier 4 General Student visa at the time of marriage. Her tier 4 visa expires on August 2012 but she is going to apply for a one year extension. After her extended visa expires in August 2013, will she be able to convert her Tier 4 General student visa to Tier 4 Dependent visa from within the UK? Or does she have to go back to India and apply from there for a Tier 4 dependent visa?

I understand that, there is a rule that if the dependents are already in the UK, then they have to apply for dependent visa when their partner applies for Tier 4 General visa from the home country. But I believe this does not apply to my case as my wife is not staying here as my dependent.

I could not find any satisfactory answer on the ukba website. please help. Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:13 pm

No one can tell you today what the rules may be in 2013.

But, under current rules, a change from Tier 4 (General) to Tier 4 (General) dependant can only be done from outside the UK.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!