ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I be able to sponser my boyfriend for his visa ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

christine44

Will I be able to sponser my boyfriend for his visa ?

Post by christine44 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 am

My boyfriend is Albanian but lives in Italy and I am English living in London. It is a very new relationship. We met while I was on holiday in summer and I have been back to Italy since to visit him. I would like him to be able to visit me in London for a holiday but he has said that because his passport is albanian then he would need me to act as a guarantee if he came to London. I am concerned that I might not be considered a good enough sponser/guarantor because although I have a decently paid job I am a bit silly with money and have no savings. Every month I spend all my wages and have no money at the end of each month so my bank accounts will show this and I am worried this looks bad. I can however show my payslips which are approx £2,000 per month net and I have been with my current empolyer for 4 1/2 years so i hope this will help. Also I live in a 4 bed flat with 3 friends so I am worried that my current living situation will not be viewed as appropriate for him. Initially I would like him to just come for one week and then if it goes well he could come again. I believe the visa we would apply for is for 6 months. Does anyone know if my accomodation and bank statements would be considered a problem and would I be seen as an acceptable sponser even though I rent with friends and have no savings. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by christine44 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 am

Welcome to this board.

A few points. Firstly, what is his immigration status in Italy? He is there legally? On what basis?

Secondly, as regards an application for a visitor visa, it is important to show "reason to return". But what would be his reason to return to Italy? For example, has he got a job to return to?

Thirdly, as regards your finances etc., so you are going to be undertaking to pay for him while he is in the UK, or is he going to be paying for himself?
John

christine44

Post by christine44 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:03 pm

I believe that everything is ok with his immigration status in Italy and that everything is legal but i do not know on what visa basis. My italian is still a bit limited and discussions on these issues gets a bit confusing. When we was together at Bologna airport for my return to the uk he spoke with the airport police about the possibility of him getting a uk visa and they told him to go to an office in Rimini for advice. He has now been to the office - I am not sure if it a visa office or the police - but he has been told it is not easy for an albanian to get a uk visa and that it would help if i was a guarantor for him. This is the bit I am concerned about due to my lack of savings and the fact that I share a flat with 3 friends. As I said I do have a decent salary and am planning to save money so if he gets the visa i can rent a flat for the two of us. I could afford to support the two of us on my salary but I think he has savings and so will be able to help buy his own food etc. He has a job in Italy and works for various nightclubs in security and I would expect they would keep his job open for him or re-employ him on his return to Italy as I am only expecting him to visit for maybe a few weeks. I am sorry I cannot be more specific over his status in Italy but I do believe it is ok and i am just trying to ensure that I can be a good sponser/guarantor for him so any advice on living accomadation or savings required is most appreciated.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 pm

He has a job in Italy and works for various nightclubs in security and I would expect they would keep his job open for him or re-employ him on his return to Italy as I am only expecting him to visit for maybe a few weeks.
It will be much better if he still has a job, but has a limited amount of holiday, and must return to Italy and his employment.

All that would be a better "reason to return", than the chance of him being re-employed on his return.

But the British Embassy in Italy will not entertain his visa application unless they see proof that he is legally in Italy, and not just as a visitor.
John

christine44

Post by christine44 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Thank you for your replies John. I understand how important it is that his work in Italy is legal as without that he doesn't really have a chance at getting a visa but I believe it is ok.

Do you think my lack of savings and the fact that I live with 3 friends would mean I would not be considered a good sponser ?

I do earn a decent salary and have worked in the same job (Local Government Office) for almost five years now. I plan to save some money and rent a flat myself and am not sure if it would be better to wait a couple of months and apply for the visa when i have savings and my own flat - would I then be seen as a better sponser ?

christine44

Sponsorship - accomadation issue

Post by christine44 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:00 pm

I want to sponser my albanian boyfriend to visit me in the UK for approximately 2/3 weeks. I do not have savings but I have a decent level of income and can show payslips and bank statements for the last 6 months. I also plan to start saving some money from this month and he has his own savings.

My problem is that I currently live with 3 friends in a 4 bedroom flat in London. I plan to rent my own flat next year but not sure if I should delay the visa application until then as I might be seen as a better sponsor. My sister has said that me and him can stay with her when he is in the UK as she has a mortgage on a 3 bedroom house which she lives in with her husband and 1 year old son and she is willing to write an invitation letter stating this.

My question is in the sponsership letter should I say that he is going to stay with me or at my sisters house ? Or would it be better to wait until I rent my own flat ? Is it going to be too confusing and maybe look odd to give my pay and bank documents as a sponsor and then my sisters house details ? In reality he will probably stay with me for a couple of nights and we will visit my sister too but also I will book a couple of hotels as I want him to see central London and also have a trip to the countryside while he is here so it is a nice holiday for him. I don't want to lie but I'm just not sure if I put all that on the sponsorship letter it will all look a bit confusing. Plus I am not planning on booking the hotels until he has the visa as I don't want to waste my money if his visa is refused.

Any advice on what is considered "suitable" accomodation for a sponsor to have is much appreciated.

christine44

Savings

Post by christine44 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Does anyone now the answers to my accomodation questions as above ? Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Also, how much money would I need to show in my savings account to show that I can support someone for a 2/3 week holiday ? Would £1500 be considered enough ?

christine44

Savings needed to be a sponsor ?

Post by christine44 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Sorry to keep reposting but I really need to know how much money I would need to show in a savings account to be considered a good enough sponser for my boyfriend for a 2/3 week holiday.

I am planning to open a savings account tomorrow when I am paid and will put as much money in as possible and the same next month. But need to know how much I will need to save before we apply for the visa. Also does the savings account have to have been open for a minimum amount of time to be considered or is it ok to open an account specifically for this purpose and deposit money over maybe 2 - 3 months.

Realistically if I save hard for the next few months (and cancel Christmas) I could save between £1500 ane £2000 - would this be enough ?