ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job title mismatch on employers letter

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

manishchaudhry

Job title mismatch on employers letter

Post by manishchaudhry » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:48 am

Dear all,

My current job title is Software Engineer but duties I perform are more closely matched by title "Programmer" under COP.

My salary does not match minimum salary requirement stated in COP for "Software Engineer". But my salary is more than minimum salary requirement for "Programmer".

My employer has given me a letter stating that I am working with them as a "Programmer" and I am getting paid more than the minimum requirement.

My question is what job title do I write on my application form?

If I write programmer on my application form and its SW engineer on original WP letter. What would be the implications of that?

Thank you all in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

If you apply as a "Programmer", both you and your employer will be lying.
Your risk, your call.

And the first question a caseworker will have in his / her mind is - why is he working as a "programmer" when he is supposed to be employed as a "software engineer"? Why wasn't an application made to reflect "technical changes in employment"?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

manishchaudhry

Post by manishchaudhry » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Could the letter be worded in such a way that it would suggest that my job title is software engineer but the duties I perform are more closely matched to the "Programmer" in COP.

Not to forget COP is only new months old and I was employed 5 years ago.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 pm

manishchaudhry wrote:Not to forget COP is only new months old and I was employed 5 years ago.
You missed mentioning that you are a WP holder.

Then it may work, with your employer explaining that the job title / designation was decided much before COP were even dreamt of .. and your job responsibilities have been matched with the closet equivalent .. which is that of a programmer.

IMHO ...
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

manishchaudhry

Post by manishchaudhry » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 pm

sushdmehta wrote:You missed mentioning that you are a WP holder.
Sorry, my mistake, I thought I mentioned that, but now realise that it was on the post I didn't actually post.
sushdmehta wrote: Then it may work, with your employer explaining that the job title / designation was decided much before COP were even dreamt of .. and your job responsibilities have been matched with the closet equivalent .. which is that of a programmer.

IMHO ...
below is the letter I got my employer, let me know what you think.

I confirm that Mr xxx is currently employed by xxxxxx as a Software Engineer on a permanent contract that commenced on xxxxx.

His work for xxxx is very satisfactory, and it is our intention to retain him as an employee provided he is granted Leave to Remain in the UK after 04/12/2011.

According to the Occupation codes of Practice for Tier 2, xxxx's current job is classified as Skilled, coming under SOC2132: Software professionals. Within this classification, the job description most closely matching his duties is “Programmerâ€

littlerice

Post by littlerice » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Might be worth mentioning what the minimum rate for that "programmer" job is from the code of practice. Obviously the case worker can find out for themselves, but you want to make it clear your salary is ABOVE that rate don't you.