ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship & ILR same time? after 5 years?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

markotsg

British Citizenship & ILR same time? after 5 years?

Post by markotsg » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello

I am on Tier 1 visa since 2007.

From UKBA SITE
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... tiontypes/

i can see that requirments for citizenship is 5 years spent in UK as well as for Settlement?

I was under impression its 5 years for ILR and then 1 year till Citieznship?

can someone please confrim?

thanks

Marko

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Immigration time restrictions wrote:Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.
One becomes free from Immigration time restrictions when one is granted settlement.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

viraam
Newly Registered

Post by viraam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi,
Even I am confused with this. I am not married to british citizenship holder. I got my ILR in July 2011 after living here in uk for last 5 years. But now I am not sure that can I apply for citizenship now or will I have to wait for 12 months to apply for BC?

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:11 pm

viraam wrote:Hi,
Even I am confused with this. I am not married to british citizenship holder. I got my ILR in July 2011 after living here in uk for last 5 years. But now I am not sure that can I apply for citizenship now or will I have to wait for 12 months to apply for BC?
You will have to wait until you've held ILR for one year, meaning that you will only be eligible from July 2012.