ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for myself and my wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

venga_pal

Naturalisation for myself and my wife

Post by venga_pal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi there,

I have got my ILR in Jul2009 and my wife got her ILR (through spouse visa) in Aug2011. However she has been living in the country since 2005 on work permit (until she changed it to my dependant spouse visa in Aug2009).

I understand I qualify for naturalisation. Now my question is, can my wife apply for naturalisation along with me, lets say this month or does she have to wait until she completes one year on ILR to qualify for naturalisation?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
venga_pal

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

venga_pal

Post by venga_pal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks a lot for that link Vinny.

However, the only differnce I see here is that my wife has been in living in the country since 2005 legally.
2005-Aug2009 as a work permit holder and Aug2009-Aug2011 on spouse visa, on ILR since Aug2011. Does it not count as her 5years in the UK? would they not accept it?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Venga_pal

venga_pal

Post by venga_pal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Another scenario,
Lets forget about the extra money it costs.

Lets say I apply for citizen ship and I get it and will apply for citizenship soon after for my wife. As per the guidance booklet (link below) in the page 30 of 44- section 4.Immigration time restrictions, if the person(inthis case my wife) is married to a citizen (me after I get my citizen ship), she just have to be free of immigration restrictions on the date of application and does not require 12 months free of immigration requirements.
Did I understand it correct?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_an.pdf

Also normally how long does it take -the process.
Thanks.
Kind regards,

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:52 pm

You got it right.

If not married to a British citizen, you wife will need to wait 12 months after ILR but if she applied after you become BC, she doesn't need to wait.

vinny referred to case when a joint application was made and a request was made in a cover letter to consider the main applicant first and then the second applicant to be considered as a spouse. This is a discretion outside the rules which is not documented but did work for some cases. The main advantage is speed and money (joint application instead of two singles).

Naturalisation on average takes nowadays 3-4 months but can take up to 6 months for a decision to be made. Afterwards, you will need to attend a citizenship ceremony (might be a few more weeks to wait) and then you are a BC.

venga_pal

Post by venga_pal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for that Jambo.
I hope we do not have to send our passport with the application do we? Else we will be left with no passport for that period.

Kind regards,
venga_pal

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:08 pm

You can apply using NCS who will photocopy your documents and forward the application to the HO (for a fee).

venga_pal

Post by venga_pal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Brilliant!!!

You are a star Jambo, a true sage. Thanks a lot.