ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

transitting the UK from Rep of Ireland to Peru

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

doesnotcompute

transitting the UK from Rep of Ireland to Peru

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am

Hi,

I need some advice for my wife, who is a Peruvian national. I am an Irish national, and we are both living in the Republic of Ireland at the moment. We will be going to Peru as follows: Dublin -> London -> Madrid -> Lima. On the way back, we will use the same route, reversed (i.e: Lima -> Madrid -> London -> Dublin)

My wife currently has an Irish Long Term Stay visa (Join Spouse), and an Irish re-entry visa. Does she need a visa to transit the UK, and if so, which type of visa?

According to WorldBridge, Direct Airside Transit Visas because of the Common Travel Area. They also say the Visit-in-Transit visas are only good for onward journeys, and that if you intend to return to Ireland via the UK (which we do), then she needs a full visit visa. Is this correct?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm

A silly question, and a different line of thought, why are you going Dublin->London->Madrid->Lima ... when there are flights from Dublin to Madrid direct?

If you can't get iberia (which is presumably the Madrid->Lima leg anyway) then just book the Dublin/Madrid leg, then book the Madrid/Lima leg.

M.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:14 pm

we got a good deal going from London to Lima via Madrid; the offer was in GBP, and we paid from our british bank account, so didn't lose out in the exchange rate.

Anyway flights are all booked now, and this is the route we are taking.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Apparently she'll need a visitor visa:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/custo ... -landside/

Hope the deal saved you more than the £76 + photographs + time lost costs.

M.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 am

Contrary to what MPH80 has advised she does not need to apply for a VISIT VISA. She will be able to apply at port for the TWOV concession provided:

. She has an IRISH category D visa.
.Confirmed onward air ticket to Ireland within 24 hours.

Also a clean immigration history in the UK will help. If she has adverse immigration history she may encounter delays.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 am

INSIDER wrote:Contrary to what MPH80 has advised she does not need to apply for a VISIT VISA. She will be able to apply at port for the TWOV concession provided:

Also a clean immigration history in the UK will help. If she has adverse immigration history she may encounter delays.
Insider, this is what I initially thought, but then when Worldbridge replied to my email, they stated that if we wished to return to the Republic of Ireland on the way back, she would need a full visit visa.

She has a clean immigration history in the UK, so no issues there.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 am

I stand corrected - apologies!

simmo

Post by simmo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:15 am

INSIDER wrote:Contrary to what MPH80 has advised she does not need to apply for a VISIT VISA. She will be able to apply at port for the TWOV concession provided:

See also http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/custo ... h-the-cta/