ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being sent abroad for 2 years..ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Being sent abroad for 2 years..ILR

Post by gregshukla » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello

I am currently on T1 General since 14 Sep 2009 (current visa valid till 14 Sep 2012 - ILR due on 14 Sep 2014).

I am being sent to the Philippines for 2 years by my company in order to help set up a team there in a new office.

I wanted to ask what I can do to ensure that I can get my ILR on 14 Sep 2014 even with this long posting abroad?

1) Would it help to to come back to the UK every 3 months so that no absence is longer than 90 days? I can make personal trips.
2) Should I get my contract amended to mention that I am being sent abroad? It already says that I could be required to work from any office worldwide.

As another option, can I still continue to extend my visa under T1 General without applying for ILR after I come back to the UK? Or is there any rule that prevents extensions of T1 General due to long absence abroad?

Or is the long absence rule only used for ILR?

I will continue to be on UK payroll and have my UK salary deposited here in pounds in UK bank account during these 2 years.

Any other suggestions/tips would be most appreciated!

Thank you everyone!

edit: Just wanted to mention that I will be coming back to the UK once before current T1 General runs out, and will renew it for further 2 years. Hope the long absence till I renew does not cause any problem for renewal before 14 Sep 2012.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:21 pm

1. Remaining on UK payroll is an important evidence of maintaining both economic ties and continuous residence in UK.
2. If you can make the effort, travelling to UK (for either business or personal reasons) before 90 days - even for a day - will help. If you cannot, try and make trips as frequently as you can.
3. The contract you refer to, is it a contract specifically for your assignment to Philippines? If so, it may be useful to insert something to the effect that "it is a fixed term contract and that you will resuming employment in the UK at the end of the contract". See if it is possible to get done.
4. Under current rules you may extend your Tier 1 (General) leave as many times as you want. Absences have no relevance for Tier 1 (General) extension.
5. Talk to your employer before you sign the contract and arrive at an agreement that they agree to issuing you a letter, on lines that this applicant arranged from his employer, to justify your long absences for the purpose of settlement application.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

maggyfu1
Newly Registered

Post by maggyfu1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I would really recommend coming back to the UK justto tick the boxes............i am in a simmilar situation and wish i had flown back to the UK just to stop the watch so to speak............my situation below.......

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am Post subject: ILR application: 650 days plus absences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to all the valued members of this board!

First of all ………..thanks to everyone on this board……………for the valuable information and also helping some of us sleep at night knowing there is some hope!

I have read more or less all the posts releated to my issue over the past year, my conclusion is that it still remains a bit of a gamble as there is no clear methodology despite the rules and info posted by UKBA.

So my situation is as follows:

1. Sept 2001: Arrived in the UK on a student visa (foundation year + 3 yr course………4 year visa granted)
2. Sept 2005: Extended my student visa by another year as I took a placement year with a large multinational corporation in the UK
3. Sept 2006: Graduated from University with an engineering degree and immediately hired by company I did my placement year with as an Engineer.
4. Oct 2006: Granted 12 month Science and Engineering graduate scheme visa
5. Sept 2007: Applied successfully for HSMP visa (3 yrs)
6. Oct 2009 : Applied successfully and switched to Tier 1 general, granted until Oct 2012
7. March 2010: Registered as self employed and began own business
8. Oct 2010: Company assigned me to undertake some product development work in another EU country (at Parent company)………..ended up travelling Mon-Fri (weekends in the UK) for nearly 6 months
9. March 2011: Had enough of the travelling and company offered an expat package (for 3 years…………..but documents including contract only done upto Oct 2012 as my UK visa expires then…………..although option available to extend expat as long as I can renew my UK visa).
Some of the salary (about GBP 1000) paid in the UK and the balance to be paid in the other EU country. I have been living and working there since then.
10. Dec 2011: travelled back to the UK for a weekend to meet my friends for the first time since leaving the UK in March 2011. (so absent from UK continuously for 280 days)

Well guys, the question is now I want to apply for ILR under Set (o) 10 yrs lawful stay in the UK. And I am concerned and don’t really think I will get ILR granted due to my absences in the UK, but I am willing to give it a shot despite this as I have seen some people in the forum having success despite the odds and professional advise from solicitors etc.

My absences:
1. Upto Dec 2010 I spent a total of 310 days holidays out of the UK (almost all of them back to home country). All holidays were paid holidays during my professional stay in the UK and the other when I was a student were also mostly paid annual holidays (from part time work etc). On average I spent about 30 days out of the UK on vacation every year.

2. From Oct 2010 to March 2011 I spent 70 days out of the UK on business trips for my employer at the parent company in the EU.

3. From 1st March until Mid Dec 2011: I spent 280 days outside the UK as I was living outside due to my employment needs

4. So from the above 650 days plus absence from the UK. The concern is the recent absences due to my employment which are longer than the stipulated 6 month (180 day) limit.

Other factors:
1. I continue to get a salary from the UK branch of the company…………..this is around GBP 1000 per month.

2. As an expat I received the a majority of my pay in the EU country where the parent company is located.

3. I still continue to pay NI through my UK salary (this has remained unbroken)

4. Last tax year I recorded a small income from my self employment and have paid a small amount of tax on this.

5. This tax year I will be paying UK income tax on about GBP 10,000-15,000 from my self employment business activities. This has yet to be finalized as the tax year hasn’t ended.

6. I am still technically employed by the UK company and will be required to return to the UK after my assignment abroad (sometime around March 2014) or sooner if I cant get my UK visa renewed (but this end is covered as I can extend my Tier 1 if all else fails)

7. I can get a letter from my employer mentioning my assignment abroad and requirement to return to the UK branch.
8. I also have the necessary letters from an accredited accounted and bank statements, P60’s etc for all of the above

9. I have no home etc in the UK at present although I plan to purchase a house etc next year (I guess this is not really relevant as anyone could claim such a thing   in order to show a “strong “ tie to the UK)

10. I would have spent 5 yrs (3yrs HSMP + 2 yrs Tier 1) in Sept 2012

11. I completed my 10 years in the UK back on 25th Sept 2011 ( I mention this in case UKBA count upto when the qualifying period for 10 yrs began, i.e. 23rd sept 2011, then it would make it 7 months absence……………in case it makes a difference.

So I would be grateful if the member of this forum could suggest anything in terms of documents etc that I can prepare in order to make my odds a bit favourable and if you have any advise for me regarding my ILR application. I am planning to apply sometime in March as I will take the KOL test soon. I have been pretty stupid in not making an effort to travel back to the UK for even a weekend to prevent an extended absence of 6 months but this was a major oversight!

So I am going to take a punt on this and any help would be much appreciated if you guys think i should just forget it and renew my Tier 1.

Also does this mean i have to restart the clock now and stay for another 5 yrs on my Tier 1 etc to qualify for ILR (assuming immigration rules arent changed in the meantime!)

Cheers!

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi sushdmehta: I got 2 years HSMP + 3 years Tier-1. I am a little short of 5 years. If I apply for a second extension, would I get it for 2 years or just few months to complete my 5 years ?