ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestry to FLR - birth certificate question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Ancestry to FLR - birth certificate question

Post by Miss Oceania » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:02 pm

I will be applying for FLR at the end of this month, and am a bit uncertain about the birth certificates I need to supply with my docs.

I have CERTIFIED COPIES from the GRO/central records offices of my birth certificate, my father's and grandfather's. Now, technically, these are not ORIGINAL's are they? But from what I can gather for NZ and the UK, only shortened versions of birth certs are usually issued to confirm registrations of birth, and these AREN'T acceptable documents, are they? I have called the IND and the person there just said they need to be originals. Am I worrying unnecessarily that the certified copies WON'T be acceptable? Do I need to write a covering letter explaining why they aren't originals, as the IND person advised me to do?

And another question - I am planning to head back to NZ for my mum's 60th birthday, departing London on 27th October. I am sending my FLR application off on 1st August. Will that be enough time for the application to be approved and returned?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:20 pm

When they demand originals, they're really just trying to stop you sending in plain photocopies. Certified copies produced by the original issuing office or by the General Register Office are certainly acceptable. Copies certified by solicitors, banks, etc, generally aren't.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:30 pm

So I guess you won't be applying for ILR then. I can't say I blame you. It's probably better to go with a 100% chance of approval for FLR than a 100% of a major spot of bother if you go for the SET(O). Just as a side note, you might want to check out the IDI (Immigration directorates instructions) that caseworkers use when reviewing applications. According to section 4.6 on page 8, when caseworkers refuse settlement based on an insufficient amount of the Ancestry applicant's time in the UK, they are expected to consider a further leave to remain anyway, if "it would succeed under the relevant paragraph of the rules". What this means is that technically, you have nothing to lose if you submit a SET(O) application. If they refuse ILR, they should still give you FLR. That said, maybe this is something best attempted in person, not through the postal route where you'll be waiting with bated breath for weeks.

The relevant link: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

When you originally applied for your ancestry visa back in NZ, I'm guessing you supplied the same certificates, which they vetted and approved. I'm asking this because I've applied for Ancestry twice already, once in Canada (1998) and again here in London (2003). The second time around, they said that they didn't need to see the documents once more, as it was clear from my first application that all was in order. I'm guessing, however, that you want to be safe. Again, this is something I understand.

All the best with your application. Almost eight weeks is likely enough time to return your passport newly stamped.

Enjoy a good hols back home.
Last edited by RobinLondon on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:46 pm

RobinLondon wrote:So I guess you won't be applying for ILR then. I can't say I blame you. It's probably better to go with a 100% chance of approval for FLR than a 100% of a major spot of bother if you go for the SET(O).

When you originally applied for your ancestry visa back in NZ, I'm guessing you supplied the same certificates, which they vetted and approved. I'm asking this because I've applied for Ancestry twice already, once in Canada (1998) and again here in London (2003). The second time around, they said that they didn't need to see the documents once more, as it was clear from my first application that all was in order. I'm guessing, however, that you want to be safe. Again, this is something I understand.

All the best with your application. Enjoy a good hols back home.
You're right, I'm not prepared to risk my hard earned cash on ILR! The FLR thing is an inconvenience, and sending the birth certs is a pointless exercise as far as I can see, given that I have already provided them in my original Ancestry visa application, and I wouldn't have had to provide them for ILR, but it has to be done.

The trip back will be short but sweet, lots of family and friends to catch up with, and a 18 month old nephew and new born niece (due next month) to meet for the first time. I'm picking I will be itching to get back on the plane to London though!

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I can be safe in sending the certificates I have. If they were good enough to get me my original entry clearance to the UK then they should be sufficient for a one year extension!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Tracey-

Be sure just to check the link that I included in my above message. I edited it shortly after I first responded. You might find it interesting to say the least.

All the best,

Rob

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:25 pm

RobinLondon wrote:Tracey-

Be sure just to check the link that I included in my above message. I edited it shortly after I first responded. You might find it interesting to say the least.

All the best,

Rob
Just finished reading it, makes for interesting reading! Thanks!

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:15 pm

For anyone interested, I have just had my passport returned and I have been given Further Leave to Remain until 17th September 2010, so that's four years.

I will of course be applying for ILR next year though :D