ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 1 extension - earnings - will be short by 5k GBP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vain
Newly Registered

tier 1 extension - earnings - will be short by 5k GBP

Post by vain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I have a tier 1 general visa valid till November 1, 2012.
I am in London, and my job pays me 60k GBP annually. I score only 95 points with this income. I will run short by 5k to score the minimum 100 points required for the extension.

What are my options?
One thing I can think of is - should I get some freelance work for 10k GBP and bundle that with my income? What proofs will I need to submit to the home office?

All help appreciated!

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 pm

98. An applicant’s overall total earnings
can include those from several sources of
work, including a combination of salaried
employment and self-employed activities.
Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance version 04/2011 Page 18 of 33

99. Earnings do not need to have been
with a single employer.

Source: UKBA's Policy Guidance Document http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

In the same document there is a sub-heading entitled Documents required. Reading it should help you.

vain
Newly Registered

Post by vain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks ScopeD.
From some information I have come across, apparently, to show freelance income, I need to register with some bodies well in advance. What these bodies are, I do not recall clearly, maybe VAT/some thing like that?

ScopeD wrote:98. An applicant’s overall total earnings
can include those from several sources of
work, including a combination of salaried
employment and self-employed activities.
Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance version 04/2011 Page 18 of 33

99. Earnings do not need to have been
with a single employer.

Source: UKBA's Policy Guidance Document http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

In the same document there is a sub-heading entitled Documents required. Reading it should help you.

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

If you intend to undertake business as a sole trader then you will need to register with HMRC as being self employed. You will usually be notified to complete a self assessment tax return and will be required to make Class 2 National Insurance payments separately (although exemptions may be granted).

More details can be found on the HMRC and BusinessLink websites.

VAT registration with HMRC is not compulsory unless taxable supplies for the previous 12 months is more than £73,000, or you expect it to go over that figure in the next 30 days alone (current rates)

rajani1981

Post by rajani1981 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 pm

AccountantMatthew wrote:If you intend to undertake business as a sole trader then you will need to register with HMRC as being self employed. You will usually be notified to complete a self assessment tax return and will be required to make Class 2 National Insurance payments separately (although exemptions may be granted).

More details can be found on the HMRC and BusinessLink websites.

VAT registration with HMRC is not compulsory unless taxable supplies for the previous 12 months is more than £73,000, or you expect it to go over that figure in the next 30 days alone (current rates)
Matthew
I have registered as self-employed in Sep'11 and I got self-assessment notification. I have set up Direct Debit for Class 2 NI. Is that sufficient for now?

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 am

Yes from what you say rajani1981 all appears fine.

Although you've already completed what you need to for anyone else viewing the thread who is in a similar situation here is what you need to do with HMRC:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/reg ... elfemp.htm

feedback556
Newly Registered

Re: tier 1 extension - earnings - will be short by 5k GBP

Post by feedback556 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:15 pm

vain wrote:I have a tier 1 general visa valid till November 1, 2012.
I am in London, and my job pays me 60k GBP annually. I score only 95 points with this income. I will run short by 5k to score the minimum 100 points required for the extension.

What are my options?
One thing I can think of is - should I get some freelance work for 10k GBP and bundle that with my income? What proofs will I need to submit to the home office?

All help appreciated!
Hi, im in same situation as you are in...can you please share that what is the alternative you have thought of?

vain
Newly Registered

Re: tier 1 extension - earnings - will be short by 5k GBP

Post by vain » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I took up a side project to make up for the shortfall in the salary. So my shortfall is now met.
feedback556 wrote:
vain wrote:I have a tier 1 general visa valid till November 1, 2012.

What are my options?

All help appreciated!
Hi, im in same situation as you are in...can you please share that what is the alternative you have thought of?