ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR BACKDATED!!!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raghusn
Newly Registered

ILR BACKDATED!!!

Post by raghusn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:45 am

Further to my earlier mail (http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=) the last part of which I quote below:

"I hope I have covered all the salient points. Though it is not directly connected, I will mention a side-issue. Our second daughter is starting her Law degree course this year. We were very anxious that we have our ILR on 1st September, the cut-off date for deciding her fee status. ILR on or before 1st Sept, would have made her status ‘home student’ and resulted in a saving of about £ 45,000 over the next three years. Now we plan to write to UKBA to confirm that we were eligible for ILR on31st August, but were unable to obtain it due to limitations at Solihull. I know it is a long shot, but we will give it a try! I will be thankful if any of the boarders could share with us similar experiences on this front."

We wrote to the UKBA requesting backdating of our ILR to the date we appeared at Solihull. We wrote that in the light of Jami's correspondence with UKBA (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/i ... ing-192235) and also as we know that many cases of long absences were in fact decided at Solihull, the refusal to process our application was wrong.

On November 9th, two months after we wrote, UKBA have written a letter agreeing to backdate the ILR date and asking us to send our passports to their office.

We are, needless to say, overjoyed as it is a matter of £76,000 of university fees.
Our heartfelt thanks to our MP who took up our case strongly with UKBA. I think it had a very large influence on their decision.

Many thanks to our friends in the forum from where I got lots of information on the basis of which we had contested UKBAs action.

jami
Member of Standing

Post by jami » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:42 am

Congratulations. Very good news for those afraid of raising issues with UKBA.
Another aspect of this post is use of MP. Immigrants are hesitant of joining any political party of UK. Whereas when they register for vote shortly after arrival in UK (though not for voting but for other reasons) they should consider becoming member of any party. At least one member of household should be member if not the main applicant. MPs are very easily accessible to all the residents of their constituency and are usually helpful as only very few people contact them for any issue.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Please continue in your previous topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!