ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Office is in "Waterloo London, SE1." Best place to

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PRadeep Itnal

Office is in "Waterloo London, SE1." Best place to

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 am

Hi guys
I have got an offer in uk, and office is located at Waterloo London, SE1. Can anyone suggest me the best places to live and commute to work easily.

Thanks in advance

Pradeep.SI

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:42 am

You have several options for Waterloo:

If you want to be inside London, anywhere on the Jubilee line, Northern line or Bakerloo line would be easy to commute to Waterloo. (EDIT: Oh and probably anywhere on the Central Line too as you have the Waterloo & City line and since you'll be going against traffic, it will be quite easy).

If you want to be a bit further outside, have a look at South West Trains's route map, as their London terminus is Waterloo. Anywhere up to Woking, Guildford, Shepperton, Windsor is in my view easily commutable.

The other option in my opinion would be anywhere on the South Eastern network (see route map) for all trains going towards Charing Cross. All stop at Waterloo East which is a 5 minute walk from Waterloo (and your office might even be closer to this station in terms of walking).

So you can choose inside London (North West or East or North or South) or outside London, South West or South East. The only difficult commute would probably be if you were in North East or West London (my opinion).

So anywhere really :)

PRadeep Itnal

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for your Reply. If i have to live in London then i have to pay heavy rentals, and if i have to stay out of london then i have to pay for Train, which one is better, i dont mind travelling for 30 to 40 mins to work. However i dont know how much it will cost me for trains.

Any suggestions, please.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Thing is, as you move further out, transport goes up and rent goes down. For two people, this would roughly work out the same if commuting time doesn't change much. Real life example:

For two people were are paying £1400 in rent for a two bedroomed house with a garden + £305 in transport monthly. Total is £1705.

We were looking at houses much further out in Stevenage at a rental cost of £850 per month, but then transport is £800 per month. Total is then £1650. At least with the London travelcard you can go out on weekends etc, living further out, you'll probably need a car or buy separate bus tickets too.

It's all a bit relative and depends on where you want to live, how many people you are, if you need good schools close by, if you like entertainment, want shopping etc.

PRadeep Itnal

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 pm

How about moving to IllFord, Barking? Whats your opinion on that?
Can i get 1 bed room house somewhere around 700 to 800 Pounds and how about reACHING TO CENTRAL lONDON(WaterLoo) from there?

ankitv

Post by ankitv » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I Work in Waterloo as well. I live near Pudding mill lane station, which is very close to both Jubilee and central Line. Takes about 40 mins door door for me.

PRadeep Itnal

Living in Bromley

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Is it a good idea to live in Bromley, and commute to my office located in Waterloo London, SE1

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:15 am

PRadeep Itnal wrote:How about moving to IllFord, Barking? Whats your opinion on that?
Can i get 1 bed room house somewhere around 700 to 800 Pounds and how about reACHING TO CENTRAL lONDON(WaterLoo) from there?
It will cost you about £800-1000 for a 1bedroom house in Ilford. (Excluding bills) You could get a bit cheaper but It wont be that great ! If you are a single person a room rent would cost you about £400 excluding food etc. most of these rooms will have all bills covered. If you are looking to get a house then keep in mind bills will add up to around £300 extra.

A travel card from Ilford to Central London zone 1 (Zone 4 to zone 1) is now £150.50 per month. You can use it on buses and go out over weekends. Works out cheaper. Travelling time is about an hour to C.London. You could take a bus to Gants hill from Ilford or take the over ground to Stratford where you can get the Central line and then change for Northern line Or best change to Jubilee line from Stratford (best option) Or you can take the EL2 bus to Barking where you can take the C2C train (Not the best option cause of your work location) or other lines. But they are relatively SLOW and not a viable option.

If you are a single person my best advice is to find a shared accommodation. It works out cheaper and you can save money. If you are going to bring your wife in then go for a House and do apply for a credicard cause you will run out of money very shortly :lol:

Source: Living in Ilford for the past 5 years + :D
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

PRadeep Itnal

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:26 pm

hi Madona587
How about staying in bromley and commuting to central london from there?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Are you talking Bromley - as in the borough? Seems a bit random unless you know someone there. Why not ask them? (It seems like a bit of a mission, but that's just because I would want a direct link to where I work). If you meant Bromley-by-Bow, then it's a bit closer and easier.

Why Bromley? (And which Bromley...)

PRadeep Itnal

Post by PRadeep Itnal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:39 am

Thanks mulderpf.
Yap Bromley - as in the borough. I am not sure how the area is. However i would be thankful if you can suggest me few good areas to stay in, i am looking for 1 bed room house in the range of 800 pounds, and a place which is convenient to commute to my work place.

Can you suggest some areas?