ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permits and shortage occupation list

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

*LINDA*
Newly Registered

Work Permits and shortage occupation list

Post by *LINDA* » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi everyone, quick question, what does the occupation shortage list have to do with the work permit or obtaining one?

So IF I'm a train engineer and this is on the shortage list, will I automatically receive a work permit to be able to find employment (a la HSMP) or will it be easier for a company posting a position available to fill this position with a non-UK immigrant?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:45 pm

A particular sort of occupation being on the occupation shortage list means that the employer applying for the WP does not need to bother to prove that the job has been advertised.

Accordingly, yes, it is much easier for a WP to be obtained for something on the occupation shortage list, assuming of course the individual is qualified to do that sort of work.

Train engineer? More specifically the shortage list is :-
Railway engineers
  • For jobs that are listed below the person must have a degree with at least 2 years relevant experience from a civil, structures or electrical background.
  • Railways Planner or Engineer
  • Railways Modeller
  • Railway Track Design or Permanent Way Engineer
  • Signaling Engineer, Communications Engineer
  • Power Supply Engineer or Electrification Engineer

(Senior positions in the above posts would be expected to have at least 5 years relevant experience)
You qualify?[/list]
John

*LINDA*
Newly Registered

Post by *LINDA* » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:31 pm

Thank you for your response. I just used train engineer as a vague term because I saw they were looking for engineers just to get a general idea. 8)