ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American fiance

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ishotjr
Newly Registered

American fiance

Post by ishotjr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi all,

I am an Irish citizen, and my fiance is an American. I will be returning to Ireland in August 2012 to resume my studies for 2 years, and my fiance will be joining me in September 2012. Now obviously we need to sort out some sort of way that he can legally stay with me in Ireland, we are planning to get married in Ireland as soon as he arrives on his tourist visa, but I have no idea where to go from there. Will he be able to stay in the country after the tourist visa expires? And could anyone tell me would it be a better idea if we get married here in America before moving home to Ireland? He is also considering studying in Ireland, but that's not a definite.

Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

AYOUB
BANNED

Re: American fiance

Post by AYOUB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 pm

ishotjr wrote:Hi all,

I am an Irish citizen, and my fiance is an American. I will be returning to Ireland in August 2012 to resume my studies for 2 years, and my fiance will be joining me in September 2012. Now obviously we need to sort out some sort of way that he can legally stay with me in Ireland, we are planning to get married in Ireland as soon as he arrives on his tourist visa, but I have no idea where to go from there. Will he be able to stay in the country after the tourist visa expires? And could anyone tell me would it be a better idea if we get married here in America before moving home to Ireland? He is also considering studying in Ireland, but that's not a definite.

Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Which ever ways you want it, marrage licence waiting period is for 3 month so sky is the limit, if you like you can get married in ireland or america.

ishotjr
Newly Registered

Post by ishotjr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:13 pm

AYOUB, thanks for your response, can you please explain about the waiting period for me? We just got engaged last week so this is pretty new to me!

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 pm

This might be helpful:

This includes changes to the law following passing of the Family Law Act ,1995
1. Requirement to give three months notification of intention to marry:
Any person marrying either by religious or civil ceremony must give three months notice to the Registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place or have obtained an exemption as explained below. Failure to comply with this makes the marriage invalid in civil law.

2. How notification may be given.

Notification of a Marriage may be given in two ways.
i) Both parties may write jointly (or separately) to the Registar for the district in which the marriage is to be solemnised giving the following information.
- name and address of the parties to the marriage.
- name and address of the church, or place, where the marriage will take place.
- the date on which the marriage is to take place.
- the ages of the parties, or confirmation that the parties are over eighteen.

ii) A pre-printed form may be obtained from the Registrar.
If only one letter or form is sent to the Registrar it must be signed by both parties .
The Registrar will issue each party to the intended marriage with an acknowledgement confirming the date of receipt of the notification. You must retain this document and produce it, when requested, to the person solemnising the marriage.

It should be noted that these acknowledgements are for record only and are not intended to be a licence or certificate signifying the approval of the registrar concerned in any proposed marriage. the other legally required marriage preliminaries, if any, appropriate to the form of marriage, must also be complied with.

If I was in your position, I'd mention to the immigration officer that you plan to get married when they stamp your fiance's passport. Your fiance will have to register with the local INIS/garda office (if you live outside Dublin it's a lot easier, in my experience, as there's often little to no wait) and once you're married you go back to that office and they will usually give your then spouse a stamp 4 visa which will allow him to work, etc, so long as you can provide adequate documentation of the wedding. Of course, the scenario I outlined there is assuming there are no problems with and documents, finances, criminal convictions, whatever.
Good luck! Usually when you're married (especially to an American) I think it's fairly straightforward.

AYOUB
BANNED

Post by AYOUB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:12 pm

ishotjr wrote:AYOUB, thanks for your response, can you please explain about the waiting period for me? We just got engaged last week so this is pretty new to me!

I think wisco has given a bit of clue to your question, all the best.

ishotjr
Newly Registered

Post by ishotjr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:42 am

Sincere thanks Wisco, your reply was so detailed and helpful!! I really having been stressing about getting him over to Ireland without any hiccups, I never realised how difficult life can get when you're in love with someone from a different county.

Thank you both so much, really appreciate it.