ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage, Work, School .. Whats the easiest?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Marriage, Work, School .. Whats the easiest?

Post by PrinceBucko » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey There :)

I am wanting to move to the US, to marry a girl there, move there, work there and grow a family there.

Both her and I are very confused about Visas, and are basically trying to find the easiest way so I can start living and earning in the US.

At first, going to school there seemed a likely bet, but since I cannot get financial aid until completing a whole year, that was knocked out of the equation.

Work seems to be a good possibility, although finding a job and getting the company to be patient and wait for me to get my greencard as well as sponser me for it seems to be a long and hard process.

And as for marriage, we definitly want to get married! but we dont really want the reason just to be so I can move there and get a green card, We want to take things slow and do it right.

Any tips on how to go about any of these, and also, which would be the best one?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Craig

uslawyer
Newly Registered

Post by uslawyer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:45 am

Why don't you try to get a tourist visa? It's approvable for up to a 6 month initial stay with option to extend for another 6 months after you get here.

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:18 pm

Pardon me for saying,

I thought a tourist visa entitled me to stay for UP TO 90 days, and could not be extended.

uslawyer
Newly Registered

Post by uslawyer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:36 pm

That is so for visa waiver, which you are entitled to, but not required to use.

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:47 pm

I see.

So I would have to apply for this visa through the U.S embassy and probably state why it was that I wanted 6 months rather than 3.

Would I be entitled to look for work during these 6 months?

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 pm

Ok, thankyou!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:34 pm

PrinceBucko wrote:I see.

So I would have to apply for this visa through the U.S embassy and probably state why it was that I wanted 6 months rather than 3.

Would I be entitled to look for work during these 6 months?
And once they work out that your intention is to get married and stay on, they may well refuse the application on the spot.

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:49 am

hmmm. Ok

So it seems as if I should just use the Visa Wavier program, look for work, then apply for a perminent visa if something comes up?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:25 am

You may want to try that, but if you enter the US on a visa waiver and when they ask you for the purpose of your visit you reply "I'm going to look for a job" or "I love this country and I want to stay" you're pretty much guaranteed a trip in handcuffs to the detention center with deportation the following day, and you'll be banned from using the VWP for the rest of your life. Also don't forget that you need to have skills in order to get a work visa, i.e. either a university degree or significant work experience in a particular sector. Finally if you do end up marrying someone make sure that she either has enough funds or a decent job, otherwise she may not be able to petition for you (although someone else might co-petition with her).

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 pm

wow, seems like america is like fort nox!

I always state my reason is visiting friends and my girlfriend, which is very true lol.

I have noticed some border protection people DO have a sense of humor, and arent scary people who will lock you away but I understand that the VWP has restrictions.

I hope to save enough funds myself, OR get a decent college degree so that I CAN get a job there.

I didnt realise the US was so strict on things!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Unfortunately in the US the immigration authorities can be very strict and often apply these rules to the letter. The additional problem with the Visa Waiver Program is that in order to use it you must give up your right to appeal, so the decision of the immigration officer is final. If he feels you may want to overstay your visa, or you are a potential security risk, or he just plain doesn't like you, he can have you deported. So it's a good idea to avoid mentioning girlfriends and the like. When they ask you for the purpose of your visit just say "pleasure". If they want more details say you're visiting some friends.

I fell in love with the US in my early twenties, and really wanted to emigrate there. I went over to visit a friend of mine who was studying there. However by the time I'd got enough skills to emigrate the "dot com boom" had burst and there weren't many jobs in the US any more, so I started working in London. Funnily enough, I ended up marrying a US citizen but she moved here rather than me going over there... We may decide to move there in a few years, especially if the UK tax regime gets worse, but have no immediate plans to do so. One reason I'm not in a hurry to move is that I work in the financial sector and most of the jobs in this area are in NY, which is not one of my favourite areas (I prefer the West, especially California).

PrinceBucko
Newly Registered

Post by PrinceBucko » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:58 pm

ah fair enough.

Yeah i've fallen in love with the US too, and I would like to see myself working there, its just that im still young and im under-qualified.

I actaully rememeber the last time I was in Boston logan at the border protection desk the guy asked me what I was going to be doing in the states, and I said seeing some friends, and he imedialty said "girlfriend?" and I said just said friends. the first time I came to the states i stated that I was seeing my girlfriend so when they swiped my passport the information must of come up again.

About her moving here .. not a hope in hell lol, she HATES england .. not too sure why, but its either gonna be me move there, or it doesnt happen.

I think I should go back to college and study and get quallified so that i stand more of a chance of getting a job there