ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American soon to be husband moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Annabell123
Newly Registered

American soon to be husband moving to Ireland

Post by Annabell123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:27 am

Hi all,
My American boyfriend and myself recently got engaged. We have been together almost 2 years.......I live in Ireland and he lives in New York and we have spent the last 2 years constantly going back and forth visiting each other. We have finally decided enough is enough! :-)

Our plan is to marry early next year in New York and he is going to move to Ireland. I have been reading a lot of information online regarding the steps involved in order for him to stay in Ireland.
Firstly, one of my concerns is customs. Once we marry I will be returning home to Ireland and he will follow a few weeks later.

My question is: When he is coming to Ireland intending to live, what should he tell customs? Will he have any problems when they see he only has a one way ticket and he tells them he intends to stay? He obviously won't have secured a job at that stage. Can they refuse him entry? This is worrying me greatly.

Secondly, is it really as easy as both of us going to the GNIB with our passports and marriage cert and he will get a stamp on his passport which will allow him to live and work for a year which is renewable???
When he comes to Ireland should he start looking for work first on his tourist visa and when he secures work then go to the GNIB to get his stamp OR is it advisable to go straight to the GNIB and then look for work?
Does the GNIB look for any other documents? Utility bills with address, bank statements? Do they interview both of us or is it just a matter of getting the stamp?

Any info would be much appreciated as I am worrying like crazy and want everything to go smoothly.
Thanks in advance for any replies (and sorry the post is so long winded!) :lol: :lol:

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: American soon to be husband moving to Ireland

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Annabell123 wrote:Hi all,
My American boyfriend and myself recently got engaged. We have been together almost 2 years.......I live in Ireland and he lives in New York and we have spent the last 2 years constantly going back and forth visiting each other. We have finally decided enough is enough! :-)

Our plan is to marry early next year in New York and he is going to move to Ireland. I have been reading a lot of information online regarding the steps involved in order for him to stay in Ireland.
Firstly, one of my concerns is customs. Once we marry I will be returning home to Ireland and he will follow a few weeks later.

My question is: When he is coming to Ireland intending to live, what should he tell customs? Will he have any problems when they see he only has a one way ticket and he tells them he intends to stay? He obviously won't have secured a job at that stage. Can they refuse him entry? This is worrying me greatly.

Secondly, is it really as easy as both of us going to the GNIB with our passports and marriage cert and he will get a stamp on his passport which will allow him to live and work for a year which is renewable???
When he comes to Ireland should he start looking for work first on his tourist visa and when he secures work then go to the GNIB to get his stamp OR is it advisable to go straight to the GNIB and then look for work?
Does the GNIB look for any other documents? Utility bills with address, bank statements? Do they interview both of us or is it just a matter of getting the stamp?

Any info would be much appreciated as I am worrying like crazy and want everything to go smoothly.
Thanks in advance for any replies (and sorry the post is so long winded!) :lol: :lol:
When he is coming to Ireland, will he be married? (There is a policy that durable non married relationships can get status without marriage, see the department website on inis.gov.ie for details on period)

I would suggest that you make representations to the Minister First! Seeking permission. The reason why, is that no one could suggest to you that he over stays on his visa, which he may, if he had to wait for a decision. Also, you have the slight risk of some idiot at customs refusing entry due to the one way ticket. HOWEVER, I suppose if he has the marriage cert he should be ok. In an ideal world he should have a return ticket, so he would not have to utter a word to customs on arrival. But lets face it, its expensive and why go through all that crap, when, providing you and him have all the documents, should have no problems helping him get residency. I think all that needs to be done is go to the GNIB.

You should write to GNIB and Married to Irish Citizenship Section, INIS, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 NOW and seek advise. At least then you will have something in writing. Both groups are pretty responsive compared to other units in the Department.

Make sure when proving relationship you have all the documents of prooving residency and flights (passport will show alot of this), are you working? (ie proof that he won't be a burden to the State.

This should not be a problem case. Better off seeking advice from the department.