ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

College closed, What now?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HelpJay
Newly Registered

College closed, What now?

Post by HelpJay » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi
A friend of mine came to the UK in August to start a postgraduate diploma. The college has been closed recently and it seems he will not get any refund of his tuition fees.

He has visa stamped till Jan 2013, but with this development, I dont think it will be valid. He is finding it difficult to enroll for another course due to financial problems. How long is he allowed to stay in this country to find another school? Is there any place he can get advice/ legal aid?
Any info is much appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:53 pm

According to the Tier 4 guidelines, the UKBA would, in a perfectly organized world, now write to him to say that he has 60 days to find and enroll on another course. It remains a matter of debate (to my mind) as to whether this deadline is absolute even in situations where the UK don't immediately respond in this way when a college is closed. Is it 60 days from the date of closure or the date of being informed by the UKBA? However, he should be making plans to switch sponsor or leave the UK; he simply can't expect to do nothing.

Amir_fly
Newly Registered

Post by Amir_fly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 am

Dear Helpjay,

Lucapooka is right but perhaps he has missed that your visa is getting expired in late jan 2013 not 2012 , so you got ample time to apply and wait for UKBA to respond.

Regard,

ruskcake

Re: College closed, What now?

Post by ruskcake » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 am

HelpJay wrote:Hi
A friend of mine came to the UK in August to start a postgraduate diploma. The college has been closed recently and it seems he will not get any refund of his tuition fees.

He has visa stamped till Jan 2013, but with this development, I dont think it will be valid. He is finding it difficult to enroll for another course due to financial problems. How long is he allowed to stay in this country to find another school? Is there any place he can get advice/ legal aid?
Any info is much appreciated.
If there are changes in your circumstances you will find all the info you need on the following page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... s/changes/#

What college and why did it close? Did it not make arrangements for students to be transferred to other institutions?

Lesson to learn is that dont enrol into "daffy duck" colleges which are here today and gone tomorrow.