ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents register with foreign births, can I get citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mobo
Newly Registered

Parents register with foreign births, can I get citizenship?

Post by mobo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:00 am

My great grandfather was Irish born. If my father registered with foreign births after my birth, would that make me eligible for citizenship? If not, if my father obtained dual US/Irish citizenship after my birth, am I eligible for citizenship if I'm 20 years old?

Thank you.

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

I assume you mean the citizenship of Ireland.

If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born outside Ireland, and any of your grandparents were born in Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen, and can do so by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register maintained by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. You can do this by applying to your nearest Irish embassy or consular office. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration.

The following like may be useful to you:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000024

All the best!

kiwiwife1

Post by kiwiwife1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html sums it all up.

If your parent registered before 1986 or, if born after 1986, before your birth then you can register on the Foreign Births Registry, if your great-grandparent was born in Ireland.