ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel advice

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MUKP
Newly Registered

Travel advice

Post by MUKP » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:29 am

Hi

I need some advice and views.

I am a Non-EEA national. I was married to an EEA national from June 2006 to January 2011. We live in the UK. Based on laws, I retained my rights of residence (May 2011) and subsequently a Permanent Resident card was issued (November 2011) by the UK Border Agency to me based on EU laws.

My question is, now that I am not technically a family member of an EEA national as I am divorced but have obtained my PR based on EU laws governing family migration from a Non-EEA country, will I treated in similar fashion as an EEA national if I decided to move to another EEA country in-terms of visa requirements, free movements etc.

Kind regards.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

Good question!

With a Residence Card it is generally assumed that you travel visa free when you do it together with your EU spouse.

With a Permanent Residence Card, you are no longer directly dependent on what your EU spouse is doing or not. (In your case your EU spouse is divorced). But I am not sure what the requirements are wrt to travel alone.