ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

nationality query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

monamd
Newly Registered

nationality query

Post by monamd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Can anyone help with the following scenario, would applaud anyone who can help:

My grandparents (on my father's side) were born British citizens on
account of their birth in a former British colony, Y*emen.

My father born to them in 1936, was born a British Citizen too on the same account. Because of changes to the UK Nationality Act in the
1980's, my father's nationality was taken away and replaced with a British
Overseas Citizenship.

However in 1999, my father came to the UK to claim back his nationality for which he had to apply for asylum. This was granted and he is now a BC

The British Embassy issued a letter that was given to my
father in May 1995, when he had tried to claim back his UK Nationality
for himself and his five children. It stated that

* Your child, who were born before 1 January 1983, has a claim to British Nationality.

Based on this letter I submitted an application to the British embassies in the UAE for my British Nationality based on the embassy letter. I was actually issued a British Overseas Citizen passports, of which I knew
little at the time.

I have contacted UKBA who have stated that my entitlement to British citizenship is unclear and is embedded in legislation and effectively could not help.

Therefore, I was wandering if anyone knows if I am entitled to British nationality and not British Overseas Citizenship which I now have.

I have yet to come across anyone that can help, I applaud you if you can provide some information.

PS - My mother is an Indian national, and since I was born in India, I was
given the Indian nationality at birth as I was added to her passport. I
renounced my Indian nationality in 2009 when i applied for British Citizenship

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 pm

The person who can provide you with a definite (or close to definite answer) would be JAJ but based on what you posted I doubt that you're eligible for BC.

From what you describe, your father lost the right to abode in the UK during the legislation leading up to and including the nationality act of 1981 and it seems to me that you lost it as well.

He only gained it back after claiming assylum and immigrating to the UK but this, to my mind, does not affect you.