ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

acc
BANNED

Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension?

Post by acc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension that I am in? As per the PBS calculator, I need to earn atleast 55k to be able to get extension. I am pretty much on the edge I feel, because it is a challenging to earn this much in 12 months. Though, I am in a contract job, that is, I am on a not so bad per day salary, I am still not sure I’ll be able to qualify for extension.. because in the coming 12 months of salary claim period, sick leaves or holidays would reduce my salary and even a minor reduction in earning would mean I won’t get enough points. I am a bit surprised that many people I see from their threads on this forum are not having any much of this stress regarding required points. Some people I see require much less salary (I’ve even seen people saying they need 26K of earnings to get required points). This causes me to re-check whether I’m possibly wrong in my points calculation or if I am missing something. I’ve put down my details for your kind review:

Date of first Tier-1 issuance: Jan 2011
Date its valid till: Jan 2013
To predict the required salary to get required points for extension, I used the PBS calculator and it gives me following points:
Age=33 = 10 points
Qualification= Bachelor’s degree = 30 points
Salary: If between 50k & 54999, then 30 points. If 55k to 64,999, then 35 points.
UK experience= yes = 5 points.

So, for “Attributes”, my total would be 75 points if I earn between 50k & 54999, and would be 80 points if I earn between 55k to 64,999. The minimum required points in attributes are 80. So, I need to earn atleast 55k! Am I right?

Another question is, if any of you is (was) in similar situation of being on the edge or not being able to earn this much with the given salary, then what are you doing (or did) to solve this? Ideally, I wish answers based on practical experience on this one.

Many thanks. Best wishes.

manojk005

Re: Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension?

Post by manojk005 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 pm

acc wrote:Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension that I am in? As per the PBS calculator, I need to earn atleast 55k to be able to get extension. I am pretty much on the edge I feel, because it is a challenging to earn this much in 12 months. Though, I am in a contract job, that is, I am on a not so bad per day salary, I am still not sure I’ll be able to qualify for extension.. because in the coming 12 months of salary claim period, sick leaves or holidays would reduce my salary and even a minor reduction in earning would mean I won’t get enough points. I am a bit surprised that many people I see from their threads on this forum are not having any much of this stress regarding required points. Some people I see require much less salary (I’ve even seen people saying they need 26K of earnings to get required points). This causes me to re-check whether I’m possibly wrong in my points calculation or if I am missing something. I’ve put down my details for your kind review:

To predict the required salary to get required points for extension, I used the PBS calculator and it gives me following points:
Age=33 = 10 points
Salary: If between 50k & 54999, then 30 points. If 55k to 64,999, then 35 points.

So, for “Attributes”, my total would be 75 points if I earn between 50k & 54999, and would be 80 points if I earn between 55k to 64,999. The minimum required points in attributes are 80. So, I need to earn atleast 55k! Am I right?

Another question is, if any of you is (was) in similar situation of being on the edge or not being able to earn this much with the given salary, then what are you doing (or did) to solve this? Ideally, I wish answers based on practical experience on this one.

Salary requirements for Tier 1 issued before April 2010 were very low. However after this, salary requirement was increased significantly. Since you got visa after July 2010, most likely you will need 100 points for extension. This is specially more problematic for people who applied on basis of non-uk salary. So this is not something unique for you. Now time is coming when people will start worrying about this. When I was in India, I was scoring maximum points for all except age. However, after April 2010 (before 19 July 2010) when I applied from UK on basis of UK salary, I managed to get just minimum required points but will comfortably get required points for extension. My PhD (from a top UK uni) is helping a lot on this side. I know that UK/non-UK PhD does not matter for UKBA but writing this to avoid comments (from few arrogants) who have not seen real research in life.

acc
BANNED

Post by acc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for your reply mate. Do you or anyone know of any (ideally not very difficult) masters degree that can be done part time or through correspondence which could be used for claiming points, because that would relax the demand on the my required salary a bit? FYI, since my current visa is valid till early Jan 2013, I would need to finish such degree till November next year, so that I can claim points for it.

Thanks for your advice

arnie365

Post by arnie365 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 pm

acc wrote:Is anyone in the same dilemma regarding extension that I am in? As per the PBS calculator, I need to earn atleast 55k to be able to get extension. I am pretty much on the edge I feel, because it is a challenging to earn this much in 12 months. Though, I am in a contract job, that is, I am on a not so bad per day salary, I am still not sure I’ll be able to qualify for extension.. because in the coming 12 months of salary claim period, sick leaves or holidays would reduce my salary and even a minor reduction in earning would mean I won’t get enough points. I am a bit surprised that many people I see from their threads on this forum are not having any much of this stress regarding required points. Some people I see require much less salary (I’ve even seen people saying they need 26K of earnings to get required points). This causes me to re-check whether I’m possibly wrong in my points calculation or if I am missing something. I’ve put down my details for your kind review:

Age=33 = 10 points

Exactly on the same boat as you bro. Plus, when I checked the calculator in Jan 2011, I was qualifying for an extension(75/75 points); but the parameters of the calculator seems to have changed and when I checked a week back I don't qualify (75/80 points). I earn 50k now and Tier 1 due for extension in Oct 2012.So, now I have to look for a job in the 60k+ range, so that I can show 50k for six months and 60k for six months to be in the 50-54,999 band for the last twelve months. Its going to cause more anxiety if UKBA again changes the qualifying points in April 2012. :(

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 am

acc wrote:Thanks for your reply mate. Do you or anyone know of any (ideally not very difficult) masters degree that can be done part time or through correspondence which could be used for claiming points, because that would relax the demand on the my required salary a bit? FYI, since my current visa is valid till early Jan 2013, I would need to finish such degree till November next year, so that I can claim points for it.

Thanks for your advice
January 2013 is only 12 months away, you cannot claim points if you have not finished it

To the OP, if I was in your position as a contractor, I would try to renegotiate your daily rate. Assuming you are in IT (as many people are and considering that you are a contractor), your rate sounds quite low.

Arnie, the calculator was out of date for quite some time, but the guidance has always been up to date. Nothing has changed, only the calculator was fixed.

T90

Post by T90 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 pm

this is what i used to advise my friends when they wanted to come here after new rules... initially, for survival, we will take below avg daily rates but after 1year ppl realise they need to earn more for extension... as mulderpf says renegotiate or look for better paying contract job... all the best

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 am

@acc & @arnie365......

Are we still in recession or what.... Feels like I am surely on the wrong side of the river...... :lol:

Good Luck with you the extension fellas. My god be with you....