ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor's visa cancelled after green card is given?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kramvi
Newly Registered

Visitor's visa cancelled after green card is given?

Post by kramvi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 pm

My dad just got his green card through my sibling who is a US citizen. While he was in the US visiting her, his case was denied because he did not have enough proof of his identity. So he left US immediately and appealed from India. They accepted the proofs and sent him his green card at my sister's address in the US.

Now it seems that since he got his green card, his 10 years visitor's visa would have been cancelled (from what I have heard). So how does he get his green card? My sister does not want to mail the card as there is a risk of it getting lost or stolen.

So the questions we have are:

1. Is his visitor's visa still valid or would it have been cancelled?
2. Within how much time does he have to be in the US after they issued the GC?
3. If his visitors visa has been cancelled, does he have to get a new visitors visa?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

khan24

It might help .

Post by khan24 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 am

once your father granted Green Card( visa-free travel rights to US permanent residents regradless of their nationalities),his visa cancelled due to his Permanent Residency/Green Card,he don't required visit visa any more & it has been cancelled by american embassy(that's normal once you get green card),every 6 months he needs to enter the u.s & he MUST live in USA for 6 months out of every year to keep your Green card status.

check this one out it might help too
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD