ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Kraut question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stensen
Newly Registered

Kraut question

Post by Stensen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 am

Hi folks

I have a question about the residence status.
I am a german guy who will study the next year in the UK.

I also can imagine to live there after my study time.
Thus it would be also very nice to have the british citizenship.

It will be the situation that i will need loans or some funding help.
I cannot finance my study myself unfortuentaly.

I read on the website of the UK border agency that an EU national automatically has the residence status BUT that national is not allowed to use some british fundings and things like that, if he wants to immigrate.

It maybe that i missunderstood something.

It would be very nice if someone of you could help me out with infomations.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am

Stensen wrote:I would like to know how the situation is
if someone has two citizenships and want to study in the UK.
One country is part of the EU (germany)
the other is not (Croatia).

How will you be treated according to the permenent residence status?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

zheni

Post by zheni » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 pm

If you are a student in the UK, intending to apply for permanent residence and thereafter citizenship you must have comprehensive sickness insurance for the whole period that you have been a student.

I think that if you are insured in your home country, you should get an European Health Insurance Card, before you leave the home country. I assume that if the UKBA are to accept this card in 5 years time as proof of being insured in your home country and hence not being burden on the NHS, you will need to continue to insure yourself in the home country.
The card, I think, has to be shown when you use medical services in the UK but I'm not sure if this actually works in practice.

As regards with the benefits, as EU national you have access to some benefits that are non-contributory but is you start taking out benefits you are likely to be found as being a burden on the system. To successfully obtain permanent residence and citizenship as a student you should not be a burden to the welfare system, hence not live on benefits.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Stensen,

I suppose you just want to come to UK alone (i.e. without a non-EEA family member).

For now, don't bother about Permanent Residence or British Citizenship; for you as a German national these have very few (if any at all) benefits in daily life. Just concentrate on your studies, and on how to survive financially.

You are free to live, work and/or study in the UK as long as you don't need support from public funds (money paid by British taxpayers). You do not need this Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, you will be able to get free NHS care without any problem.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Stensen,

I am not very clear exactly what you are concerned about. What is it that you want to make sure you get in the UK?

DestinyChild

Post by DestinyChild » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

@ Stenson,

I don't get it. You don't need to bother yourself about Permanent Residence in the UK. You're German and your country is strong economically. I don't know your reasons for coming to study and live in the UK, but I don't think you should start collecting benefits. Just study ( You'll pay Home Fees/reduced tuition fee ) and get a job. Why are you worrying your head? Take it easy. It is non EU National Family Members that should be bothering their heads. Cheers.

Stensen
Newly Registered

Post by Stensen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks for your answer.

the reason for living in the uk is: the country is "way more" better than germany.
I have been there many times and evereything- the people, the environment- just everything makes you feel better.
In germany the feeling I have is miserabel.
And if there is a possibility, why not use it to become british.
So is the point.

To the answers: first of all : thanks!
I see.
How about getting some financial help from the university?
For example in Scotland i wouldnt have to pay any tuition fees.
Would that be actually a using of benefits or fundings?
and how about getting a scholarship?

unfortunetaly my second post in another topic is fusioned here.
so I post it now one more time so that is shown:

I would like to know how the situation is
if someone has two citizenships and want to study in the UK.
One country is part of the EU (germany)
the other is not (Croatia).

How will you be treated according to the permenent residence status?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 am

Dual citizenship doesn't make a difference. You will have all the benefits and facilities available to EU citizens on the basis of your German passport.
the reason for living in the uk is: the country is "way more" better than germany.
I have been there many times and evereything- the people, the environment- just everything makes you feel better.
Just a warning: actually living in a country is very different from just visiting from time to time. I really wonder if you would still agree with your own quote above after, let's say, one year of living here.

Stensen
Newly Registered

Post by Stensen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 am

fysicus wrote:Dual citizenship doesn't make a difference. You will have all the benefits and facilities available to EU citizens on the basis of your German passport.
Just a warning: actually living in a country is very different from just visiting from time to time. I really wonder if you would still agree with your own quote above after, let's say, one year of living here.
according to your last statement.
As far as I know there is also over many generations some welsh blood in my veins.But i cannot prove it with documents.
anyway.

Oh, are you very sure about that fact with dual passports?
That would be very great if it does is like this.

do you also know an answer to my tuition fee question?

Punjab
BANNED

fees

Post by Punjab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:38 am

Stensen
Newly Registered

Re: fees

Post by Stensen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Punjab wrote:Guten Morgen

Have a look

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /index.htm
Guten Tag

Thats is a good information, but how about the fact that you are not allowed to get fundings from britain if you want to get that five year period of time?
I remember the posting i refer to:

How about getting some financial help from the university?
For example in Scotland i wouldnt have to pay any tuition fees.
Would that be actually a using of benefits or fundings?
and how about getting a scholarship?

nonspecifics
Member of Standing

Tuition fees

Post by nonspecifics » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am

What you are referring to is payment of tuition fees for three or four years.
You would also have to consider how you are going to support yourself: accommodation and other living expenses.

You will not be entitled to any financial support.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Educa ... ncial-help

"EU STUDENT STUDYING IN SCOTLAND What do I have to pay? Eligible EU students are not required to pay tuition fees whilst studying in Scotland. They are not however eligible to apply for maintenance support."

Even for UK nationals, full-time students can't get housing benefit to pay for rent.

Universities in Scotland and the rest of the UK are also victims of the recession and cutbacks, so any bursaries or scholarships from individual universities may be very difficult to obtain.

settled_now

Post by settled_now » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 pm

fysicus wrote:Dual citizenship doesn't make a difference. You will have all the benefits and facilities available to EU citizens on the basis of your German passport.
Having spent 7 years living / working in Germany ( Frankfurt ), I can fully agree with this statement. Germany is depressing ( plus the locals DO NOT like ANY foreigners )!!

However, any time visiting Berlin, I felt a lot different.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, everybody is entitled to their own opinion of course, but based on my own experience (living in UK for more than ten years) and of my brother's (living in Germany even longer), I think Germany (as well as a lot of other western European countries) is very much to be preferred over the UK!
And a lot of native British seem to agree: see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... untry.html
Many British pensioners have emigrated to France or Spain, obviously because they think to have a better life there!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 pm

I think how you view the place depends on where you are living, what you are doing, and what circle of friends you have.

You would have a very different impression of the UK if you lived even in different sections of London (think Chelsea vs. Peckham), as well as depending on how much money you make (London on £10,000 per year would be pretty hard).

And similarly would likely see France differently if you had a good job and lived in Nice vs. having a bad job living in Douai.

The UK can look pretty dire. Germany can look pretty dire also. But both can also be pretty exciting and wonderful places to live.

Stensen
Newly Registered

Post by Stensen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 am

lets be ontopic.

let me summarize:
it is very difficult to get any fincancial support from britain as a foreigner(eu-student).

and IF i understood you correctly,
it does not matter wether i dont have to pay tuitions fees in scotland.
that actually has nothing to do with benefits or with any fundings.

and it also does not matter if I have beside a EU-nationality another non-eu nationality. i will be treated like an eu-student.

everything correct?