ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC questions

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arm
Member of Standing

EC questions

Post by arm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi folks.

Can someone tell me:

If I apply for HSMP from my country and received approval Can I apply for EC from another country not form my?
If yes can I go to England directly from that Country I do not want to back
my home country and go from my home?

Thank you very much

Markie

Re: EC questions

Post by Markie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 am

arm wrote:Hi folks.

Can someone tell me:

If I apply for HSMP from my country and received approval Can I apply for EC from another country not form my?
If yes can I go to England directly from that Country I do not want to back
my home country and go from my home?

Thank you very much
I'm afraid you can't do that. the guidelines specifically says that if your outside the UK and your HSMP has been approved, you must apply your EC from your country.

markie

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Markie,

This is in the HSMP guid:

"The entry clearance application should be submitted to the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in either your country of origin or country of residence at the time you make your HSMP application. You will not normally be allowed to submit an application for entry clearance in a country where you are based as a visitor or other temporary basis"

So you can apply for EC from other country. But I can not understand what meens "visitor or other temporary basis".For instance if I'm working
in the USA whith H1B is this temporary basis. Can I apply from there?
Is here someone who apply for EC from other country please reply...
It is very important for me.
Thank you very much. :?

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:24 am

Yes you can. You're in H-1B, so you're considered to be a temporary legal residence.. Most countries that I have applied for a visa (Japan, Australia) always ask in their application form for your current country of residence.

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:37 am

Thank you lanwarrior,

But 1 thing.

I applied my HSMP from my origin country. In this case can I apply for EC form anouther. In HSMP guid said

"The entry clearance application should be submitted to the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in either your country of origin or country of residence at the time you make your HSMP application"

" country of residence at the time you make your HSMP application"

I made my HSMP in my home country. What to do?
Please reply.

Thanks again. :?:

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:45 am

Arm,

I thought you filed your HSMP application in US... my bad.

In this case, it's better that you apply for the EC from your home country, or wherever you filed the application from, since it's already stated in the HSMP Guidance as quoted above.

Just so I am not confused again (it's 3 AM here), EC = visa to enter the country with your HSMP approval, right? So many abbreviations :)

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:08 am

All way round :)

I filed HSMP application in my home country. Now I'm in my home. But I have contract for 1 year in USA. So I should go in 2 weeks. So I will in US during this times. And I want to apply fo EC from US can I do that.

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:45 am

Please, please, please.
Can somone help me :?:

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:24 am

Arm,

Read the guidance... you can NOT apply for EC in US since you applied for your HSMP application OUTSIDE of US

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:47 am

Thanks lanwarrior,

It is bad. I should do something :(

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:51 am

If you get an approval, then just simply go back and apply there. The airfare cost is nothing cmpared to what you get: a chance to stay and work in UK legally. :)

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:42 am

Do you guys know what determines 'residence'? I'm trying to figure out where to apply from--currently I'm in the US, but will be moving to Ireland in 4 weeks. I'll be there on a business visa, which isn't a real work permit, so I'm not sure if that will allow me to legally apply from there. I'd prefer not to apply from the US and then have to come back to the US to get EC, but don't want to get to Ireland and find out I can't apply from there.

Any suggestions?

arm
Member of Standing

Post by arm » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 am

Hi giblet,

The best way for you to apply from USA, go to Ireland, work 4 weeks, return and apply for EC.

You are right you should have work permit for applying from Ireland.

curious canadian
Newly Registered

Wife EC-from location different from my HSMP filing location

Post by curious canadian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Hello there everyone – I need expert opinion (about EC for my wife) from senior members. Please look into my situation.

I am Canadian National working in US. I got my HSMP approval and now I am planning to apply for EC in US (New York). My wife will apply for EC in three months time after I go to UK and things have settled down. I know it’s been advised on this forum to file for EC together with spouse but it is not possible in my situation.

In my current situation, my wife has US visa as my dependent. She cannot work (or go to school) in US, so she has predominantly been staying in Canada. I visit her in Canada all the time and she comes down to US occasionally.

My question is:

When she applies for EC in three months time, will she be able to apply from Canada?
I have seen forums here - advising that Entry Clearance can be applied only from the place where HSMP was issued.
In her case firstly she is a dependent. Also, she would not be able to apply from US, because I would not be working here anymore and thus she would be out of status to come to US.

Thank you very much