ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization - Spouse eligibility question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

indiansummer
Newly Registered

Naturalization - Spouse eligibility question

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure some one must have been in a situation similar to mine.

Scenario -

I've been in the UK for 6 years 5 months. Currently on PR which I got an year ago. My wife joined me in the UK 4 years back in 2007. My son was born here in the UK in 2009.

From the Naturalization elibility criteria, I gather that a spouse also can apply for Naturalization if he/she has been in the UK for the last 5 years or for the last 3 years if married to British citizen (subject to meeting all other conditions like Life in UK test, absence from UK in the last year and in the past 3/5 years etc). So, based on the above, I can't apply naturalization for my wife. But, I've read on various immigration borads that I can take a "chance" by applying for her as well at the same time as mine as technically, they would process my application first when I become a British citizen (?? I'm not sure about this though!!) and then they can process my wife's application. My questions -

1) Has any one been in a similar situation line mine and took a chance by applying for the spose as well the same time?

2) I guess my son can apply for naturalization with me. Is that correct?

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish everyone on this forum a Happy, Prosperous, Lucky, Eventful and a wonderful new year 2012!! :-)

Regards

thunderera

Post by thunderera » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I called the nationality contact center regarding the same and the lady who answered said I need to apply first and once it goes through my wife can apply. But I'm going to call again and check again.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm

1) Ask Victoria.

2) Yes (Registration, rather than Naturalisation, for child).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 am

thunderera wrote:I called the nationality contact center regarding the same and the lady who answered said I need to apply first and once it goes through my wife can apply. But I'm going to call again and check again.
Please note that this is a discretion outside the rules so I doubt the HO will confirm that over the phone (technically you only become a BC after the ceremony so that is the risk you taking here).